XLR to RCA Adapter Dilemma

I know that use of adapters should degrade the sound. However, when I use the XLR output of my BAT preamp into the single ended input of my power amp, the sound is much fuller than when going from RCA to RCA. Could this be because the XLR output has a higher gain than the RCA? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
rlb61
Also, to Elizabeth ... thanks for validating that practical application can trump theory. For a minute there, I was beginning to doubt myself because the theorists maintained that what I was hearing was simply impossible. I feel much better now.
Rib,

You should be able to look at your manual and look at the output via xlr vs RCA and see what the manufacturer says its doing. It is not uncommon to see different output voltages for the different outputs in specs.

My old Esoteric X03 cd player played great via rca into my preamp but the balanced out overloaded the preamp input due to higher output voltage. It sounded better until it clipped (distorted). It is not uncommon. Balanced is/was designed for longer cable runs so makes sense it has a more robust signal for traveling further.
Agree with Elizabeth's point, actual use (practical application) is the final determinant. Rlb61 you were right to trust what you heard and not what theory would predict as the outcome. In general I subscribe to "simpler is better" but readily acknowledge there are situational exceptions .
Charles,
Peter (Pbnaudio), thanks very much for your comment, which I reciprocate :-)
11-30-13: Rlb61
Also, to Elizabeth ... thanks for validating that practical application can trump theory. For a minute there, I was beginning to doubt myself because the theorists maintained that what I was hearing was simply impossible.

12-01-13: Charles1dad
Agree with Elizabeth's point, actual use (practical application) is the final determinant. Rlb61 you were right to trust what you heard and not what theory would predict as the outcome.
While I certainly agree that in general actual use is the ultimate determinant, and supersedes theory if the two are in conflict, in this case it seems to me that it is not theory that is wrong, it is the THEORISTS that are being referred to who are wrong, or perhaps are being misinterpreted.

Specifically, it would appear that the alleged theory overlooks the fact that using the adapter may call into play a significantly different output stage design in the preamp. Which in addition to having different intrinsic sonic characteristics may also be interacting differently with the power amp's input impedance.

As I said in my earlier post, the OP's findings are certainly plausible from a technical standpoint, but a precise explanation cannot be provided without knowing more about the specific designs.
12-01-13: Cerrot
It is not uncommon to see different output voltages for the different outputs in specs.
Although often the difference in the two output voltages will be a factor of two, and that difference will be negated when an adapter is used, since as I indicated earlier the use of an adapter results in only one of the two signals in the balanced signal pair being utilized.

Regards,
-- Al
XLR adapters will work and in most cases should work quite well, but you might want to experiment with Jensen transformers for a true balanced to single ended conversion. Their downside is that you will need two pairs of interconnects to go between the components. The upside is potentially better sound.