XLR to RCA Adapter Dilemma

I know that use of adapters should degrade the sound. However, when I use the XLR output of my BAT preamp into the single ended input of my power amp, the sound is much fuller than when going from RCA to RCA. Could this be because the XLR output has a higher gain than the RCA? Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
rlb61
"I believe that the less stuff in the signal path rule is pretty much accepted as a truth"

Well, the simple old game of rope pull debunks this myth, The more that pulls the greater the result.

Thanks Al, for always supplying enlightened and reasoned answers to this forum, we need more guys like you.

Good Listening

Peter
Thanks for the responses, folks. Yes, Al, I am using the adapter at the preamp out only, and then plugging into the power amp directly with the rca. Also, I am using the same rca to rca cable. I have a/b'd this ad nauseum, and my ears continue to conclude that using the adapters through the balanced output of the preamp results in greater clarity and volume over the rca to rca connection. To be certain that it just wasn't "me," I had my wife listen to the system and she came to the same conclusion.
Also, to Elizabeth ... thanks for validating that practical application can trump theory. For a minute there, I was beginning to doubt myself because the theorists maintained that what I was hearing was simply impossible. I feel much better now.
Rib,

You should be able to look at your manual and look at the output via xlr vs RCA and see what the manufacturer says its doing. It is not uncommon to see different output voltages for the different outputs in specs.

My old Esoteric X03 cd player played great via rca into my preamp but the balanced out overloaded the preamp input due to higher output voltage. It sounded better until it clipped (distorted). It is not uncommon. Balanced is/was designed for longer cable runs so makes sense it has a more robust signal for traveling further.
Agree with Elizabeth's point, actual use (practical application) is the final determinant. Rlb61 you were right to trust what you heard and not what theory would predict as the outcome. In general I subscribe to "simpler is better" but readily acknowledge there are situational exceptions .
Charles,