Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
UPDATE:

Kana813 - you are the seller. Lol.

So what are you going to? And why the sale?

Zephyr - don't know what the differences are between K01 and the "x" variant. Newer, better algorithms, application of trickle down tech from their newest uber DAC & transport.... I don't know how that translates into audible improvements. Guido said that the X-01 to K-01 was a noticeable improvement. I know that the K-01 is partly upgradeable to an "x" but not completely (no, I have no idea what that means).

The K-01 is the best transport I have heard. I still choose my ODSE to play my Mac through, but I prefer the sound of the original CD spun through the k-01 and fed through the ODSE over running tunes from the Mac; it's a hair better, just a flea hair; albeit WAY less convenient.

I prefer the ODSE DAC over the K-01 with either CD or Mac as source. But it's a flavor thing. The K-01 is more technical and accurate while still retaining its musical power, but it's SO much more flexible with the adjustable settings. I could very very happily live with it forever and never look at another transport/DAC.

With that all said, I am putting it up for sale since I decided I still prefer my ODSE as a straight DAC, which will still be fed my Mac as my primary source. I need the $$$ since I have the opportunity to very possibly grab a Burmester 077 and 911mk3 for a great price. This would also mean my prized and absolutely fantastic Criterion pre-amp and Veritas amps (which sound absolutely amazing together, by the way) would also be for sale.

If anyone is interested in beginning talks on the K-01 (which is totally broken in), or my lovely Rowland Criterion or Merrill Audio Veritas amps then shoot me a PM.

I'm also going to touch base with my local dealer, John at Audio Connection, to see if I can borrow that Romulus Signature in the next few weeks for a day or so. I'm dying to hear it before I change anything!

Regarding the review/opinion: my listening session today reinforced my previous thoughts. I prefer the DSD/off setting for all music but classical. For classical I preferred Y2/4x.

I heard smaller differences between changing filters then changing sampling rates. I would say sampling rates were different types of ice cream (frozen yogurt, soft serve, hard ice cream) and filters were different favors of the same type; which makes sense if you think about it.

As I said I still prefer my ODSE as a DAC. CD source was ever so slightly preferable, but nothing remotely significant enough to give up the convenience of my Mac. I can get bigger differences with cable changes or room tunes. It was that subtle.

I'll keep everyone updated on my Burmester opportunity.
Hi Matt, can you tell us more detail about your preference of K-01 S-dly2/4X over DSD/off for classical music?

Saluti, Guido
Its all in the detail.
I found that the y2/4x setting (more 4x then y2) was more transparent and accurate then the DSD. You clearly give up accuracy for musicality going from 4x to DSD. There is a sense of tube warmth to the DSD/off setting that the Y2/4x doesn't offer me. Almost a tube vs solid state experience.

The y2/4x setting provides more accuracy, more high end extension (much more) and much better delineation of performers and instruments within space. Sound stage is about the same with both.

Jon2020 said that the S-dly settings are warm, slow, boomy and laid back. I find the DSD to be warm and more laid back. The S-dly settings are more cool and fast (as he described the FIR settings). Jon, can you describe the rest of your system? Im dying to see why we get so different results with the same settings. Are your settings well broken in? I didn't listen to the FIR settings, so I have no true opinion as they are not burned in….

Hope that helps…

Guido, the K-01 would freakin SING with your Aeris DAC!!!!! wink wink….
Matt,

I ordered an Amp Audio for my iPhone,so I no longer need an expensive hifi system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky9IIi5Qkoc#t=108