Budget cable chaos??? Is River Cable the new star?

Sometimes, I wonder that some audiophiles waste more time trying to determine what "budget" speaker cable to buy, than a cables costing 5 to 10 times as much. I include myself in that inglorious lot

Budget cables keep popping up on Audiogon almost daily. And, "The Cable Company" has few to none to loan out for audition in your system.

Let's see to date: there is Anti-Cable Reference, Clearday, Clearview, JW Cryo, Canare, etc, etc.... Now, I have uncovered a new budget cable company called RIVER CABLE an internet company. Their speaker cable looks well made and attractive to display, AND PRICING is ridiculously inexpensive. They basically offer three models: the entry level "Starflex". Flexgyny 6 and Flexgyny 8 (top of their line) The few reviews I found, claim that the latter two speaker cables are very good for the money, but sound distant in the midrange. The Flex 6 model I was informed is a better choice for longer cable runs because of the extra copper used. Not sure what that means or is even accurate. I have garnered that copper based speaker cables tend to sound warmer,and often more musical than the more analytical and cool silver based cables

So again begging the patience of the membership, has anyone auditioned or owned these RIVER CABLE speaker cables, and if so, how do they rank in sound quality with the others in the ongoing "budget buffet"???. I think the industry should put a moratorium on the number of so-called "budget cables" issued each year. There would probably be less buyers's remorse,and suicides among audiophiles

NOTE: Please, don't just respond by saying: "you will have to JUST try them to see what works in your system" Oh, bollocks!!! as the Brits say. The Audio business is not a consortium of roving Renaissance Faires tossing cables to the crowds for personal use. Get Real!! Thanks, Jim

sunnyjim
Sunnyjim and Zd542, in the budget cable market River cables have been around for years. River Cable is not a new entry to the market. See the link below:
[url=http://www.audioholics.com/gadget-reviews/speaker-cable-reviews-faceoff-2]River Cable 2004[/url] This speaker cable faceoff may be of interest too.

I haven't tried them, but one of these days I may, if my most recent purchase does not measure up. Sunnyjim, as far as budget cables go, I would definitely recommend trying out Supra Classic 6.0. If they're good enough for Merlin speakers, they're a very good budget cable.
"Why not look at budget cables from companies that are more established?"

That was what I said above. I really have no idea how long River cables have been in business, but they're not as well established as companies like AQ, Kimber, Cardas etc.. If someone is going to make an effort to not audition cables and buy blind, there's a lot more info in the form of comments and reviews with the bigger names.
I took a look at their site, and at the descriptions of the three speaker cables Jim mentioned. FWIW, here are my comments:

1)What is most impressive to me about the site is what is NOT there. No techno-babble, pseudo-scientific nonsense, far-fetched theories, or other BS.

2)It is reassuring to see that they provide essentially complete descriptions and specifications of their cables.

3)The description of their background supplying professional markets for 20 years or so is also reassuring.

4)As are the facts that they make their own cables, and subject them to thorough testing, monitoring actual signal waveforms.

5)The photo on their home page is certainly impressive :-)

On the other hand, I have no idea why they say that "low capacitance in speaker cables is especially important with dynamic coil speakers," and emphasize that the capacitance of their top end speaker cable is an extremely low 10 pF/ft.

Normally inductance is a more important parameter than capacitance in a speaker cable, and the inductance of their speaker cables is nothing special.

FWIW. Regards,
-- Al
TO Jafant: Snake River cables are far from budget level. But thanks for the rocommendation
I knew I was going to take it on the chin with this thread.
Zd542: I know you "don't take prisoners" in your comments but I wish you would not come on like gang busters. This is an audio blog, not a national security meeting

However, I THOUGHT my comment very funny and insightful that the "Audio Business is not a roving consortium of Renaissance Faires, etc, etc." This is not an original thought on my part but was inspired by either John Atkinson, or one of the senior editors of Stereophile. The subject was under discussion in the "AS WE SEE IT" section of the publication.

It is in my opinion spot on because I am not travelling to an audioshow in Vegas, Denver, Chicago, or NYC to audition a bunch of speaker cables. This idea that the "Cable Company" has every cable on the shelf for auditioning is just not true. Sometimes, they don't have the lengths required, or the loaner of a particular brand is NOT available.

I don't live in New York City, San Fran, or Chicago where I can avail myself of least the advice of audiosales people, or "loanership" of different brands from numerous audio shops. Honolulu has two high end audio shops, neither of which loan out cables or sell budget cables. So I must depend on the astute audio wisdom of my audiophile brothers to get a "read" on different brands of cables out there which I have little to no access. I can't row to Los Angeles in a kayak and check out their audio stores which are numerous if you include all of L.A. county

The sad truth is that many high end stores think of cabling as an after dinner mint. They are more concerned with selling the other components, and often have a narrow selection of cables they can recommend because they don't want to be bothered. The other problem is many of these goddamn audio mags that many of us subscribe, go out of their way to avoid cable reviews or cable shootouts. Maybe many of the writers CANNOT articulate the differences and don't want to be bothered by this after the sale product.

Case in point, page through the September 2013 TAS, there are lots of expensive cable ads, but rarely reviews. Plus, as much as Robert Hartley of TAS claims otherwise this magazine has become increasingly dedicated to super high end audio. This turn has occurred over the last year or so.

Lastly, To Almarg. thank you for your assessment of River Cable Company via their website. You always provide informative and judicious answers (and advice)in response to the threads offered. I wonder if the inductance/ capacitance ratios of the River Cable Flex 8 could be the reason that responder "Jtcf" "sounded dead" in his system. The company's reluctance to quickly refund his purchase is not a selling point for River Cable