DVD-R Iincopatability?

Maybe some one can help me out with this. I have an LG unit that I can record on and we tried watching the DVD-Rs on a friends Sanyo and also RCA units but, they don't load and play. We even tried our computers using Windows 7 and Windows 8 and the same thing the disc is not recognized.
What I have recorded is very valuable to me is there some way I at least can them transferred (if necessary) so that we can watch them on anything or what seems to be the problem? I could really use your help. Thanks
rsjm80
"08-07-15: Rsjm80
I did look at some of the specs for the LG players and found that it stated that they won't play on other units because the format is different! Now this sucks big time as I might or will have to search for another unit that will be compatible with what is so precious to me. I just thought that all the DVD layers had universal formats to play everything. Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions."

Your owners manual was printed in 2007. What may have been an odd format back then, may be more popular now. Either way, I don't see any other solution besides a computer. If you want your files back, you're going to have to use one. I know I sound like a broken record, but you did say your DVD's are very valuable to you. I would start off by installing VLC like one of the other posters said. Doing that will get a bunch of new codex's installed on your PC, which may allow the OS to recognize your DVD's. If so, then all you will need to do is transcode to a more suitable format. In the event VLC doesn't work, I can walk you through the process of downloading and using a live Linux distro. Its a fairly simple process.
Thank you , I'll be getting back to you concerning this at a little bit later time.

I did look at some of the specs for the LG players and found that it stated that they won't play on other units because the format is different!
08-07-15: Rsjm80

Rsjm80,

Please point out where it says that in the owners manual for a DVD-R or a DVD+R disc that is recorded in the Video mode and then Finalized.

LG RC700N owners manual
OK, I have to look, I have been real busy today with a car show, I'll get back to you on that but I found in the specs for one of the new LG units that IT DOES say that the format is different, it may not say that in my manual but I'll check again and let you know.
Rsjm80, After browsing through the manual (thanks for the link Jea48), I don't see any reason why the disc you recorded and finalized shouldn't be a "standard" DVD playable in other machines. The manual even states that at one point. Also, it doesn't appear that the non-standard recording length I mentioned above is even an option on your machine.

One thing I thought of while reading through the manual - if the program you recorded is that valuable to you, you can always use your machine to dub it to VHS. I know this is not optimal because of the loss of some quality but at least you would have the program. I'm also sure that you can find a service to create a DVD from the tape.

Dick
More to discover