Merlin TSM-MM vs. Tyler Reference Monitor

I am looking to upgrade my Soliloquy 5.0 monitors and am interested in the Merlin and Tyler monitors. Both have excellent reviews and a loyal following, but I have not had the opportunity to hear either one. Has anyone had a chance to compare these two monitors? Also, how would these monitors compare with the comparably priced offerings from Proac?

FYI, my system consists of a Cary SLI-80 tube integrated producing 40w in triode mode/ 80w in UL, a Cary 308T cdp, and Acoustic Zen and VH Audio cabling. I have an 11 X 20 room, but have to place the system on the short wall and would prefer to stay with a monitor speaker as opposed to a floor stander. I listen to a wide range of music from jazz, alt. country, bluegrass, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
cruz123
There was a thread at one point here about the Tylos' bass being "missing in action", you might want to search. Many sing the praises of the Tylers, but for whatever reason, I never got them to work well in my system. Totem Model Ones sounded much nicer in my room, I could never quite get away from the alloy cone sound signature from the Tylers. (At least thats what I thought I was hearing.) This is just my experience and as you know lots of listeners love the Tylers so take it with the prerequisite grain of salt. As for the Totems which I really love, although I found they wanted lots of power my friend who has them now gets great results with his Bedini 25x25.
Good luck Cruz.
Drseid,

That is great that you are getting better results with the Tylers. Thanks for the Kudos on my speakers as well. I think I have read some of your posts. I started with great results with my Taylos as I had an Electrocompaniet ECI-3 integrated amp (70WPC). Then upgrading to the SLI-80 just did not do the trick with Tylers where I thought it would.

The 40WPC of the Cary was just not enough. I listen at medium to medium loud volumes, not terribly loud. I do turn it up on occasion when the mood strikes me but you would just tell it did have enough juice. Well, being the Audio/Music Addict I am, I sold them and went back to the Sonus Faber and have not looked back.

The Tylers are nice speakers and Ty is certainly a gentleman. However, with the SLI-80, I would suggest going another route speaker wise.

Chris
Cruz123, I have Taylo Refs on the way that will be used with a 40W Primaluna. I'll post comments and room dimensions/info if you would like. The speakers on the way are used and broken in. I do not believe the idea that any speaker must be better because it costs more is sound advice but maybe I am wrong.
Plinko,

Sorry if I made the point that the Merlins were better because they cost more as that was not my intention. I was just stating that they were more expensive for his budgetary concerns.

The Taylos are wonderful speakers in the right application. I would personally prefer the Merlins if given the choice between the two. I have owned a pair of Taylos and did enjoy my short time with them.

Respectfully,

Chris