B&W 804s or 703s?

Hi. I have never posted before, but have owned smaller B&Ws for nearly 5 years now.

Due to a move, it is time to upgrade to bigger speakers.

I can get both the (old) N804 or the (new) 703 for about the same price from a local dealer. I am concerned about the lack of bass on the N804, but I believe it is considered to be a better all around speaker. I listened to the 703s and really like them, too.

I like both. Please help with your opinions. I am using a Sony 777ES amp for now, with a 777ES cd/dvd player. My usage is evenly split between home theatre and 2 channel audio, although quality of 2 channel audio is much, much more important to me than home theatre. (I know either speaker will do well with stupid home theatre use).

Your opinions will be appreciated. Thank you.
jromeoj
I would go for the 803's, the 804's do not have any deep bass, check B&W's own specs, they are -2db at 45hz on their specs. the 803's go -3 at 35hz -6 at 28hz, which is more reasonable for a floor standing speaker. Many high end monitors have much better bass than the 804's, and also are better integrated than their 2.5 way design which is a compromise from the 3 way in the higher Nautilus series. I found the 804's to lack any magic that the higher end N series had, even though I found even the 801's lacking quite a bit compared to others in their price range.

B&W are not bad speakers, and they do hold resale exceptionally well, but there are many other and possibly better alternatives, so please, even though you are a B&W owner, listen to some other lines before you decide.

I would suggest checking out Totem, Vienna Acoustics, Audio Physic, and Von Schweikert just to name a few. All have their own sets of strengths, some very similar to B&W's.
i own a pair of 703 speakers i think they sound very good consertering that there far from being broken in yet and im playing them with my dads 1971 sony intergrated amp and kimber kable 4vs speaker cable.im upgrating to creek 5350se amp and more expenseve kimber speaker cable.they should sound awsome.i think right now the bass is solid and mids and highs sound very good, warm sounding, strings sound natural i have not herd the 804s yet
Sbrtoy, he was asking about the 703 (not the N803) vs. the N804 as he can get them around the same price. I'm not sure what you mean but the 703 & N804 are both 3-way designs, neither being a 2.5 way as you mentioned.
On to the original poster, the N804 shares very similar characteristics as the 703 yet is more refined and yes, a better overall speaker. Everything the 703 does, the N804 does a bit better and for the same price should be a no-brainer.
Sbrtoy, "...check B&W's own specs, they are -2db at 45hz on their specs. the 803's go -3 at 35hz -6 at 28hz, which is more reasonable for a floor standing speaker."

You are comparing two different spec's. The spec's for the 804 is -3 (38hz) and -6 (30hz). This is a relatively small difference.