My system suggestions on improving bass - Totem

Hey there!

I just have a question to ask you guys regarding improving the overall sound, specifically with bass with my system as follows:

Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated
Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD Player
Musical Fidelity x-10v3 Tube stage
Totem Acoustic Hawk
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun
Nordost Red Dawn Interconnects

If you guys could please provide with me any comments or suggestions on which equipment I should add/replace, or possibly adding a subwoofer, please do so! Don't be shy to be blunt with criticisms or comments - they are all welcome! My budget is around $1000+ for improving the system, but I would like to spend as little as possible.

thank you for all your help in advance!
-Matthew Dunko
dunko
I have the MF A3.2 integrated & CD paired with the Totem Hawks and a REL Storm III. The Storm integrates well with the Hawks and adds just enough to the bottom end. I purchased the Storm for around $900.
you have a couple different options..

sub- add a used rel

cables- xlo signature 2 interconnect- very neutral and incredible bass

speaker cables- the satori and a little bland imo. it is not a bad cable but a little closed off at both frequency extremes. would consider cardas neutral reference, xlo signature, or synergistic.

power cables - i have had really good success with the audience cables (power cables make a hugh difference)
I have Totem Hawks and a Totem Lightning sub, and it's a great combination. Sure, it takes a week or two for you to get the positioning and dials worked out, but once you do have it in the sweet spot it is seamless.

I've most recently upgraded my power amp to an Audio Research VS110 and although after the upgrade I did notice a huge amount more bass from the speakers. Let's face physics, though: there's no way the Hawks can produce bass as low as a Lightning no matter what is driving them.

Another reason I have the Lightning is that it matches my maple hawks perfectly from a visual angle, too. As you can probably guess by now, my (strong) recommendation to you is to push a little over your $1000 budget and get the Lightning.
Dunko,

I also own a pair of Totem Acoustic Hawk loudspeakers and love it. For your $1000, a subwoofer would be by far the best upgrade for bass.

Do not move the speakers too close to the walls to improve your bass, becuase that's not exactly "improving" your bass, but making your walls sing. Leave the speakers where you get the best imaging and soundstage.

No component, tweak, or an expensive cable will provide more bass than adding a subwoofer. You can worry about the cables and power conditioning later when you have extra money lying around, but for now get a subwoofer.

For $1000, I'd suggest one of REL's strata 3, or Totem's own Lightning. The setup should not take you more than a couple of hours if you concentrate and have patience. I don't know why Ghunter's setup took weeks!

Hope this helped. Good luck and happy listening!
It took a matter of minutes to get it set up sounding great, and a few weeks to experiment with the dials and positioning to make the final tweaks.

I'd expect the same from any sub (without automatic level setting controls)