My system suggestions on improving bass - Totem

Hey there!

I just have a question to ask you guys regarding improving the overall sound, specifically with bass with my system as follows:

Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated
Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD Player
Musical Fidelity x-10v3 Tube stage
Totem Acoustic Hawk
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun
Nordost Red Dawn Interconnects

If you guys could please provide with me any comments or suggestions on which equipment I should add/replace, or possibly adding a subwoofer, please do so! Don't be shy to be blunt with criticisms or comments - they are all welcome! My budget is around $1000+ for improving the system, but I would like to spend as little as possible.

thank you for all your help in advance!
-Matthew Dunko
dunko
Adding a XDacv3, PSU, X10 combo to my system really extended and tightened up the bass. Not a subtle change. The mid bass firmed up giving a warmer 3d image. This combo would fall within your budget and match your other MF equipment. HOWEVER, I'm finding that this combo aslo diminshes the attack of the upper notes. Less sparkle in the highs. See my vitual system. Just my two cents.

John
If you like the MF sound, why dont you upgrade your Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated to a more powerful one such as A308 int or NuVista M3?
First thing you should consider is speaker placement. Try placing your Hawks closer to the corners and walls. This easily reinforces bass.

If this fails, you might try adding the Totem Dreamcatcher sub. Its under $1000 I believe.
Matt:

I have a similar main system set-up with the MF CD PRE 24 (preamp & cd player) and A300 CR power amplifier. My speakers are Acoustic Research 302 which easily go down to 35 hz ... so the bass is on par with some of the best that I have heard (in my case, the mid-range and overall imaging need help).

Don't change your electronics ... they are fine. I would suggest first moving your Totems closer to the wall and if that still isn't to your liking, try a sub woofer (Totem makes one, but I do not know the price). Lastly, you can wait until you are over 45 and suddenly, the real low end doesn't matter as much anymore. My buddy and I were at the HiFi Show yesterday (Friday) ... he's 27 and I am 48. It was pretty funny after awhile who thought which speaker got it right. The only ones that we could agree on were Focus Audio's SE 10 year anniversay models. And this is where the age difference comes in big time ... I can afford the $3400 scratch ... his wife gives birth in about a month and he received her blessing to buy a pair of the EPOS ESL3 and matching center (about $600).

It's all in the timing ....

Regards, Rich