Thiel CS6 to Von Schweikert VR4 JR - Am i Crazy?

I am considering switching from by current Thiels to the VSAs. While the selling price new is much more for the Thiels, I bought them used for about the same price as the VSAs are new so it would be about a wash financially.

My goal would be to improve the soundstage (I don't get much depth out of the Thiels), warm up the mids and highs without losing extension, have powerful bass, and have a smaller cabinet. From what I have read (I have not heard yet) the VSAs seem to be strong in these categories.

Does anyone think this would be a reasonable or crazy change?

Assoc gear: Naim pre w/Hicap, McCormack dna2dlx amp, Nottingham Horizon, Pioneer Elite SACD/Dvd-A
bundy
I say go for it. As good as your Thiels are, they just aren't doing it for you. Maybe the VR-4jr's won't either but there's only one way to find out, and isn't that what this hobby is all about.
The VSA's aren't chopped liver, I feel they play with speakers costing much more than their asking price. And more importantly fill those needs you mentioned in your original post.
the big thiels are notorious for being difficult loads to drive, but the McCormack amp you've got should have no trouble driving them.

are you toeing the speakers in? is your listening position on the back wall? how big is your room?
I never like the sound of Thiels. Maybe the ones I heard were set up wrong, but they always sounded bright and fatiguing. It's hard to believe though, that all the reviewers could be so wrong about them. But your pre/amp/cdp combination is bright and won't bring out the Thiels best qualities. Your options are either change electronics and keep the speakers, or vice versa. If you choose the latter, the VR4 jr's are an exceptionally good choice, and there are some used ones for sale.

I think you will be disapointed by the bass the 4Jrs put out compared to the Theils. The Jrs have good bass, but it isn't weighty and full the way it is with a big speaker. I have mine in a pretty big room 18x24 and while they sound good, they are far from what I would consider full range.
Just a thought. I recently purchased a DEQX preamp that completely transformed a pair of speakers that were ruthlessly revealing and too bright for my tastes. The DEQX has very sophisticated DSP speaker correction capabilities that correct crossover, phase, and frequency response problems; corrects for room interactions; and allows for tailoring frequency response to ones tastes (ie fancy tone control). The results are amazing- adds coherency, liquidity, etc and completely eliminates the brightness/edginess/hardness I had before with these speakers. I went through a lot of expensive gear with these speakers, and nothing has come close to the positive impact of the DEQX.

I found that once the DEQX has corrected speaker and room interaction problems, the amp, source, and cabling become much less important. Also the DAC in the DEQX is as good or better than the ones in several 1-2K CDPs I currently own. Vinyl stills sounds great through the DEQX even though the analog signal is converted to digital, and then back to analog.

The DEQX just might get you where you want to go with your existing system.