What speakers do you use with your SET's?

I am considering buying an SET amp, but I'm not sure what speakers I would need to get anything from a low powered amp.

I listen to all kinds of music, some of it is even good.
128x128nrchy
Hi Nate.

You know which speakers I use.
It's the Lowther EX3 drivers in a pair of modified Voigt Pipe cabinets.

There is a "synergy" involved with SET amps and single-driver loudspeaker systems. They work very well together.

In most cases, there is a "race to the bottom" in SET amps, where enthusiasts move lower and lower in output power, in order to get better and better sound. As a general rule, the lower the power, the better the sound, but this can be taken too far, and I wouldn't recommend using less than a 2 watt per channel 45 amp like I have. Even that is getting on the ragged edge of being too low.

Single driver systems have no crossover in them, and are not subjected to the power losses(and other problems) associated with passive crossovers, so their efficiency levels remain high. They also have the advantage of being "direct driven" by the amp(with no intervening circuitry), just like an "active system" would be.

The disadvantages are that most single-driver systems are limited in bass response, compared to most "normal" multi-driver systems. Some people use powered subwoofers to fill in this lowest octave, and some just do without the bottom octave. You can go either way. Integrating most subs with a very fast and transparent mains speaker, generally will have a "seam" at best, and could be aggravating at worst. Depends on what is important to you, and where you can make your compromises.

Call me before you make a move in this direction, because it can be frought with peril, and there is little room for error. By all means, make sure that you get a SET amp with the best output transformers that money can buy, or else use a Berning ZOTL model(like the Siegfried). This is critical to not having the high-end rolloffs and bass bloat that many think of when talking about SET amps. If you get a good amp with a good output transformer, the "golden midrange" will not be limited to just the midrange, but will extend all the way out on both ends.

This is a type of system that is very simple, yet very complex at the same time. It is so simple, that every single facet of the system becomes highly critical to the overall sound. The individual judgment and selection of these things will play a huge role in the success or failure of the system. And since these systems are so incredibly detailed and ruthlessly revealing, there is very little room for error. But, if you get everything right, there are few systems that can match it for a lifelike quality of sound.
Wilson WP6s, with a 55wpc SET.

While there's many merits to TWLs approach, i find that single driver speakers have too many limitations to present a lifelike facsimile of live music. Too much missing information (bass & treble), or the ragged junction b/w your mains and a subwoofer.

I've taken the opposite approach: get the highest power SET you can, and drive conventional speakers with it. As a result, I get the benefits of SET glory in the mids (though not as glorious as w/ the 2A3s or 45s), but with real world slam and extention.

rhyno
I'd agree with Tom on his assessment of the care of selection of your
components here. The consequences are way less forgiving than say a
mismatch in more conventional topology's may reveal. I haven't tried the
single-driver route yet. I'm using heavily modified vintage LaScala's and love
the sound of those (see my system page "Set Reloaded"). I'd also
agree to select your amps carefully and that the output transformers do make
a big difference. I can concur at least on a lesser level with only the one
experience that Berning's products are a wonderful match with high-
effeciency speakers having run my LaScala's with his 1 watt Micro-ZOTL with
wonderful results that definitely make me want to pursue finding out how his
more powerful offerings sound to my ears. The Micro sounded