Merlin TSM-MXs...First Impressions

I just received my MERLIN TSM-MXs about two weeks ago, and I can't stop raving about them!

First off, the customer service provided by Bobby P. is outstanding. I don't think I've ever had this level of service from any business, so this is truly appreciated.

Packaging was great. It took me about an hour just to get everything unpacked. And everything arrived unscathed.

The finish...a work of art! I wasn't sure how piano black would look since I had never seen this finish on a speaker. Well, I am truly impressed by the finish. It looks like the finish on a freshly waxed Bentley.

As for the speakers, the music coming out of them is magical. Prior to this I had been using Aerial Model 7s, and I think my TSMs sound better even though much smaller. The soundstage coming out of these little speakers is amazingly wide. The clarity and crispness is remarkable. I'm noticing details in songs I've never heard.

Anyone looking for bookshelf speakers or good quality speakers in general should look at Merlin.

My equipment includes:
the Merlins
Proceed AMP5
Marantz AV600 (soon to be replaced by Anthem's AVM30)
California Audio Labs Icon Mk II
Cables are MIT 2 bi-wire and MIT ICs
all powered by a Richard Gray's 600S
pranxxxster
Ditto what Chris said! I've heard that speaker with both a Berning ZH270 and a high uality SS amp (Ayre V-5x), and there simple was no comparison. BTW, there's nothing that says a 2-channel tubed amp would not be equally up to the task in HT as a 2-channel SS amp. You owe it to yourself to listen to a tubed amp with those bad boys....
pranxxxter,
the best sound will be derived by using amps and wires that show a more relaxed and robust sound quality. what you are hearing now may be great but when you get something on there that sounds more like the speakers do, you will really be happy. to that end, anthem is great, belles cryoed amps, pathos, and manley stingray. these are all wonderful amps on the speakers and of course you can go up more from there.
as far as the wires are concerned, you will notice a difference by removing the shogun biwire off the treble terminals and using my jumpers. going forward, a single run of cardas golden ref will be perfect, with my jumpers. i do prefer the cardas gf internal bi-wire but only in the best of systems. i single run with my jumpers will actually sound a little fuller and more relaxed and about 98% as good as the internal bi-wire.
have fun and let me know.
b
Hey Bobby - As you must know, there is a legion of Merlin owners who swear by the Berning amp with their speakers - yet I dont think i've seen you comment on these before (maybe you have and I missed it), I've heard you wax lyrically about the Joule Electra and others - but just out of curiosity, what tdo you think about Merlin + berning?
well artg,
i was in on the ground floor of the recommendations that started the wave of merlin/berning ownership. i own one and have recommended it many times here and just about everywhere. it is one of my three reference amps and although it is not quite the joule otl or cat jl2, it most certainly is in that class for a lot less money. i feel confident that i have sold more of these amps than anyone else for david and allan and will continue to as i think it just a specatacular piece for the money.
david berning owns the vsm and uses them so you can also be sure that the conbination will sing.
what else can i say.
b
Bobby - that's more than enough. I figured I was somehow missing much of the history/perspective here; thanks for the clarification and pardon my ignorance.....
Art