ProAC 2.5 users please share experience on amp

Sorry I have to start a new thread again about right amplifer for the proAC response 2.5. I am searching a good match for it. Please share your experience on this. I am using Cary SLI-80 sig currently. Sound is beautiful but think there maybe lots of space for further improvment. Based on my researh here:

SS: Plinius 9200

TUBE:
Audio Research (VT100+ LS7)or VT50+ LS7
C-J premier 11a or 12

Pretube/SS Power:
Blue circle BC21/BC22(or BAT 200)

anymore input? I listen to classic and some jazz.
the budget is below ~$2500. room size: 16x13x9 . I prefer to tube sound~

Thanks in advance~`
smileshopper2000
Hi Derick, I got your e-mail.

Actually, I've only tried one amp with the 2.5s. The BAT VK200. A year and a half ago when I was running ProAc 1SCs I did a shoot out with some amps that included the VK200, Blue Circle BC22, an older Bryston 4B and a Pass Aleph 3. The preamp used with all amps was the Blue Circle BC21.

My prior experience with ProAcs [Tab 50 Sigs and 1SCs] showed that careful amp matching was necessary. The ProAc tweeter can be bright and I didn't like the results when using all solid state amplification.

Around three and half years ago, after doing a lot of forum reading I decided on the Blue Circle BC21 tube preamp and BC22 solid state amp combo. My reasoning was that a combo like this would provide three things I was looking for. Warmth, power and minimal tube hassle.

I've owned the 2.5s for abour nine months still enjoy using a tube preamp with a solid state amp. I have thought of trying other preamps such as the First Sound Presence and other solid state amps like the Plinius SA-102 and McCormack DNA-1.

I'm sure the First Sound would introduce a level transparency my room has never experienced. However, there's something about the older BC21 with its 6SN7 tubes Ive grown to love. They produce a rounder, warmer sound than the 6922 tubes the Presence and other preamps I've tried like the BAT VK3i use. It really depends on what you're hoping to gain.

While I enjoy the the power and ease of use solid state amps can provide, I have become curious about lower powered SETs, possibly as a second amp. While ProAcs don't have the best measured sensitivity, I've heard they have a fairly gentle impedance curve that makes it easy for some low powered SETs to drive. One amp in particular I'm eyeing is the Wright Sound Mono 10.

Good luck!
Dean
Hi,

Please listen to me. It might be a bit over your budget ($3500-4000 used) but the Cary 805C amp is magical with the Proac 2.5! You won't regret it!

Good luck!
Both the 1SC and Tabs are rather hard and glarey sounding and I could not spend 10 minutes with them. Not so the 2.5s which are musical and don't even sound like from the same family or even city. Another great ProAc that made music and not etch is the Resonse 2S but maybe they are just a bit too beautiful sounding.
It is my understanding that the various ProAc Response speakers were originally voiced using an Audio Research VT100 Amplifier. At least that is what has been written in various audio forums. When I owned the ProAc 3.8's I had very good luck with Musical Fidelity M3 Super Integrated Amplifier, but the 3.8's were a much more difficult load than what the 2.5's present. I would contact the US distributor, I spoke with him years ago and he was a decent guy, who I believe is in Baltimore. He may have some great suggestions about what amplifiers others are using.