I'm a little stumped

My base system (power & speakers) is a McIntosh MA6100 integrated amp running a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's.

I'm been thinking real hard about upgrading both the power & speakers. After a fair bit of research and remembering a friend's MG1's from many moons ago I pretty much decided to go with a pair of Magnepan 1.6qr's. I auditioned a pair today and pretty much drew a blank. I expected to be amazed (I would have brought a pair home) and was left with sort of a "no comment". The audio shop ran the 1.6's with a Bryston 2B (180W @4 ohms). Overall they sounded a little thin & quite bright without much bottom end. The bottom end can always be cured with a sub, but the brightness?? I'm sure they could have used more power, but I thought there would be a hint of greatness I could draw on. I also listened to a pair of B&W 704s & Theil 2.4's. Basically they all paled in comparison to my little MA6100/Chorus combo. I was looking forward to maggie nirvana, but didn't see it...any ideas what happened? Bad room, bad setup, not enough power??
fishboat
Fishboat - What kinds of music do you like to listen to? How big is your listening room? What is your budget? The answer to those questions may narrow down your choices in the wide selection of amplifcation that will work with you Chorus II's. My experience with Klipsch speakers (just the Heritage stuff) is that pairing them off with tubes brings a greater sense of realism, holography and airiness (as a broad generalization). There's a whole wide range of tube amplification for all kinds of budgets. The wonderful thing about them is that even the less expensive choices can be VERY rewarding. I do suggest taking a listen to what this kind of combination sounds like before you buy. Just as your surprise with the Maggies, you may also be surprised at how different tubes may sound when your expectations are set by your SS Mac. As already has been suggested; if you're happy and you know it clap your hands! If there is a dealer near you who will let you audtion gear that may be a good idea. Or post the thread with your area and ask if a fellow A'goner may like to let you come take a listen to their tube system. If you are near Seattle feel free to ping me off the thread. I'd be happy to make a few suggestions based upon my experience, and assuming your budget is moderate based upon your current setup. Jolida is making some fine integrated amps that are upgradable and sound wonderful stock. Most are of a very versatile push/pull design. Their 302B or 502B would work quite well with your Chorus II's. Quicksilver Mini Mites are also excellent amps but would require a preamp. I have not heard them, but have heard great things about the Cayin line of integrated tube amps here on the Gon - likely very similar to the Jolida stuff as both are moderately priced tube amps built in China. Do try to take a listen before you take a leap. As far as your experience with the LaScala price you mentioned: Klipsch still is manufacturing the LaScala and the Khorn at a comensurate price for a new speaker of that expense to manufacture in the current market and economy. So the price you observed was likely a newer version purchased recently at retail. Vintage LaScalas can still be easily found in the $1000 range, and Khorns in the $2000 range.

Marco
I think you happen to be comparing speakers that are at polar extremes in the differences between them, especially dynamics. Dynamics from a horn loaded driver is, well, its forte (excuse pun), and against which most any kind of driver will lose out. I dont know if you will ever be satisfied with the Maggie sound unless a huge amplifier can coax them to dynamic life you can live with. High efficiency speaker in general do seem to have a liveliness that speakers that present a more demanding load only match with serious amplification. It aint easy, but its can be fun.
You folks are being very helpful & I appreciate it very much. Once upon a time I was reasonably fluent in things audio..then life happened and now it's 25 years later.

Sean,
Trading variables is an accurate thought & very true. I enjoy boating quite a bit (started in power boats, now I'm a sailor) and boats are the same way. For every one thing you want (performance, accommodations, handling..) you have to give up something else you really want. It seems about everything is diametrically opposed. It all comes down to priorities & balance.

I had breakfast this morning with a guy I went to highschool (grade school..) with, he said basically the same thing...choices..and it's very personal. He got into audio when I did in the 70's & never left. The last time he was looking for speakers it took him two years. He travels on business a fair amount and in his off time he'd find an audio shop and listened to something...whatever they had. After about 50-60 pairs of speakers he ended up with Snell's C 2's? 4's? 5's? ...he couldn't remember the exact model as he bought them a number of years ago. He also grew up on Mac amps & Klipsch speakers. In fact the speakers before his Snells were Chorus II's. I've heard the Snells a couple times & from what I remember they were very nice, but I need to go and listen them for real. He said this morning that he's identified his next purchase...he auditioned them at the factory a copule years ago...Legacy "Whispers". I received an email from A-gon today that said they were auctioning off the CES demo equipment & a pair of Whispers were on the block. He guessed they'd be up to $16K by now..."aahh Kev, but what a sound...!" I have no doubt he'll get them when he's ready.

Ruebent,

The other components beyond the Mac amp & Chorus speakers are average at best. I don't have much vinyl left anymore. My main source years ago was a Tandberg 7" reel to reel...very nice unit, best they had at the time, but the heads are now burned out & it's unusable. I did check on what it would cost to fix it some years ago...$900..just $300 less than I paid for it in '76.

I have a CD player, Denon...maybe $300 when I bought it 5+ years ago. Forgive me if I'm showing my ignorance, but can one CD player be THAT much better than another? I see them listed for good money, but at this point I'm not sure what that money is buying.

My existing tuner is on it way out, a digital NAD, nothing special & it's getting weak. I'm working on a deal with a guy on an analog tuner that I'm having sent to Don Scott for mods.

I too heard a pair of Tympani's back in the 70's...awesome..took me a couple days to get my the jaw off the ground.

Marco,
Right now Diane Reeves' "Quiet After The Storm" is playing...excellent(!) CD if you're partial jazz/vocals. I listen to alot of jazz...Miles Davis through Norman Brown, Sting is a class act, some rock (Who, Frank Zappa, Hendrix, Phil Collins) some classical, & lately Celtic music is seeing alot of airtime.

Budget...within this framework, without losing all control, money isn't so much an issue...getting me to part with it however probably is... :-). I'm willing to pop a few bucks (thousand?) if I can see (hear) the value in it. I would like to upgrade my system, I'm just not sure what that means yet. As I mentioned, my first foray didn't go so well. :-)

I tossed around the tube-amp suggestion with my buddy this morning & he thought it was as interesting an idea as I did. I appreciate your offer for a listen, but I'm in Wisconsin...long commute, but please suggest away on options. To be honest, much/most of the equipment I see for sale on this site I've never heard of. The variety of equipment available today is mind numbing. I suspect some of it is primarily show & without much go, other pieces are good solid equipment, and others still are good & priced into the heavens without offering much more beyond an inflated price tag.

You mention Jolida & integrated amps...my current Mac is an integrated amp(MA6100, ~80wpc last time it was checked). Is it possible to use my 6100 as a pre-amp into a tube amp...or is this "bad form"?

I checked ebay on the Klipsch speakers...LaScalas are going for reasonable prices. There's a pair of rosewood Khorns on there right now (ugh...pretty speakers). The money isn't bad, but I don't have corners that will fit them.

Blkadr,
To be honest I've lived with Klipsch horns for so long I guess I (wrongly) assumed that 'dynamic' was an attribute of any good speaker. I'm learning that it's an attribute than can be had, sometimes easier than others, but can't be taken for granted. As I mentioned, I haven't given up on the maggies. They may end up being a longer term project while I freshen up the system I have.

Thanks again to all...you're a great help & have offered (are offering) some very level-headed thoughts to mull over.
Hey, that's what makes this forum so much fun Fishboat! Glad to be of help. Just a few more thoughts based on your recent words:

Oh my, YES, YES, YES, improving your front end can have a HUGE impact on sound IMHO, especially given your current player. There are threads ad nauseum on audio hierarchy that you can find with a search. Most seasoned audiophiles seem to fall in two camps as far as which component has the potential to make the most impact on the system. One being the front-end, and the other being speakers. There are still others who will cite other components. My intention here is definitely NOT to dredge up opinions that have already been stated in many other threads on this subject. Just to tell you that you can be assured your CD player makes a tremendous difference in your system. Making even an inexpensive improvement there to a more modern, well-designed player would be money well-spent. Not to sound like a skipping record, but if you want to keep to a modest budget, again Jolida makes a player that is killer for under a grand brand new (JD-100A). No, I don't have stock in the company. For a great discussion on Audio System Hierarchy check out the December issue of The Absolute Sound - there is a great panel discussion on that very subject.

So from your preferences of vocals and jazz I'd say tubes would be a great way to go. Definitely check out what a difference they can make. I don't know your MA6100, but I'd suspect it is not likely it can act as a preamp to another amp. The Jolida's I mentioned, and the Cayin are all integrated amps and would not require a preamp.

Marco
Fishboat,

As Marco stated, yes, the front end can make a big difference. If you are using an older $300 Denon as your primary source for critical listening, you could likely find big improvements with a different player. You don't have to spend $2000-$5000 to get a great player, although there are plenty of great players in those price ranges.

I've owned several high end CD players over the last few years and I'm really smitten with my current player (Quad 99 CDP). The Quad list for $1499, but I bought mine for less than $900 used here on AudiogoN.

Although I've not heard it, I've recently read a review of a cheap $150 Sony SCD-CE775 (or the new Sony SCD-CE595) modified by Tube Research Labs ($550 for the mod). The review and several of his friends have replaced their very expensive digital rigs with this little player that cost $700 and they are estatic.

Seriously, a good, high resolution digital front end might be a nice complement for your very dynamic speakers and your warm amplifier. You might be so happy that you stop there for a while!

Enjoy,

TIC