Single vs Multiple driver loudspeakers...

What are the pros and cons between Single Driver loudspeakers and multi-driver loudspeakers? The arguments with single driver loudspeakers are that their simplicity makes them easy to drive, plus the x-over-less setup improves dynamics, not to mention no phase problems. The thing I read is that no single driver can possibly produce the full range of sound, and most necessitate a subwoofer. On the other hand, multi-driver loudspeakers can offer a full range, but some say that more than one driver introduces phasing problems to some degree.

I have a multi-driver system that sounds great. How would a single driver setup improve my sound, if at all? And if single drivers are that much of an improvement, why are they harder to find(at least for me)?

I have also read that multi-driver loudspeaker more than often need to be paired with a high wattage amp because of the lower sensitivity, ranging from 89db and less, while single drivers loudspeakers are great for low powered tube amps because of their higher sensitivity.

Most of this, is what I have read, but never really heard.

Can someone educate me?
matchstikman
For low volume and music where powerful bass and high frequency are not important (or if you are an old fart who can't hear those high frequencires) a single driver can be a good choice.

However, although a full range speaker is called "single driver" I question the appropriateness of this name. The high frequency response is enabled by cone breakup where the small center area of the cone vibrates independently of what the rest of the cone is doing. Many full range drivers have "whizzer cones" to enhance this behavior. One might say that the driver really consists of a woofer area and a tweeter area, driven by a common voice coil. It is very tricky (some say impossible) to get this to sound right. You need to design a mechanical filter for the crossover, and this is a lot more difficult than an electronic one. Personally I prefer my tweeters to have their own voice coils.

Interestingly, my Magneplanar MG1.6 speaker somewhat resemble full range speakers, because the tweeter is just one area of the same mylar diaphram that serves as woofer. However, that tweeter area does have its own independent drive wires.
Hey Gaudio_eek here's the stats.

6W into 8 ohms at 0.04% THD+N
10W into 4 ohms at 0.04% THD+N

Doesn't seem like a lot but the guys running them say it will run you out of the room with high efficient speakers.
I mean heavy metal volumes! It has been tested to run for 5 or 6 hrs before needing a charge.Which takes less than an hour.The designer quoted it may run up to 10 or 12 hrs on a single charge depending on your listening levels.
You can go to the FAQS page on the site. It will give you most of the answers your looking for.
Gmood1, thanks again. I should have asked this in my earlier post. What speakers are you intending to use with the Clari-T?
I'm going with the Omega Grande 8s. They should get down around the 40 hz threshold.Checkout this review by an AA member. Clari T Amp review