Single vs Multiple driver loudspeakers...

What are the pros and cons between Single Driver loudspeakers and multi-driver loudspeakers? The arguments with single driver loudspeakers are that their simplicity makes them easy to drive, plus the x-over-less setup improves dynamics, not to mention no phase problems. The thing I read is that no single driver can possibly produce the full range of sound, and most necessitate a subwoofer. On the other hand, multi-driver loudspeakers can offer a full range, but some say that more than one driver introduces phasing problems to some degree.

I have a multi-driver system that sounds great. How would a single driver setup improve my sound, if at all? And if single drivers are that much of an improvement, why are they harder to find(at least for me)?

I have also read that multi-driver loudspeaker more than often need to be paired with a high wattage amp because of the lower sensitivity, ranging from 89db and less, while single drivers loudspeakers are great for low powered tube amps because of their higher sensitivity.

Most of this, is what I have read, but never really heard.

Can someone educate me?
matchstikman
Find yourself a store that sells some single driver speakers and give them a listen with your fav music.
I own a pair made by Ocellia and another pair that use the famous Diatone driver, and am VERY happy with them. I have owned many speakers in the 30(!) years I have been an audiophile.
If you need a specific recommendation, however, try the Omega brand of single driver speakers. They are great sounding, and relatively cheap, or Cain and Cain Abbys.
The imaging of the single driver speaker is awesome.
With both speakers and electronics, usually the simpler, the better. It makes it easier to maximise the quality of the parts used, and that often leads to better sound.
Best of luck.
I'm waiting on a pair of single driver speakers to arrive in a day or so.This will be my first adventure into the world of single drivers.I've owned planars and multi driver speakers.Now it's time to see how these stack up. Nearly everything I read and heard about these speakers are positive. I'm planning to run mine with a battery powered T class amplifier. The benefits are low noise floor, lightning fast dynamics, no power cords and no power conditioning. Here's a link to checkout the amplifier Clari T Amp.
It only cost $429.00 including shipping. With the right speakers this thing is said to musically give a $6000.00 Art Audio Jota tube amplifier a run for it's money. This is coming from an owner of both!

Good Luck!
You may consider an active speaker as one or more single drivers powered by separate amplifier for each.
For low volume and music where powerful bass and high frequency are not important (or if you are an old fart who can't hear those high frequencires) a single driver can be a good choice.

However, although a full range speaker is called "single driver" I question the appropriateness of this name. The high frequency response is enabled by cone breakup where the small center area of the cone vibrates independently of what the rest of the cone is doing. Many full range drivers have "whizzer cones" to enhance this behavior. One might say that the driver really consists of a woofer area and a tweeter area, driven by a common voice coil. It is very tricky (some say impossible) to get this to sound right. You need to design a mechanical filter for the crossover, and this is a lot more difficult than an electronic one. Personally I prefer my tweeters to have their own voice coils.

Interestingly, my Magneplanar MG1.6 speaker somewhat resemble full range speakers, because the tweeter is just one area of the same mylar diaphram that serves as woofer. However, that tweeter area does have its own independent drive wires.