Replace CDP or Ride out with Existing?

Hello,

I have been reading more forums and researching more then ever on this topic.

I have a Sony DVP 9000ES with some Modright mods (not the tube mods). All together I have $1900 sunk in this thing which I purchased in 2001 I think.

I have the itch to replace it with something better and dedicated to redbook CD playback as that is all I use it for. My itch is fueled by the quest for best sound to me.

My system consists of:

Bryston 4B SST Pro amp
Bryston BP-20 Pre with internal DAC option
Paradigm Studio 20 version 5 Speakers.

I have been toying with the idea of a Cyrus CDT or CDXT-SE2 but in some ways I would feel stupid spending that much bank here now in the digital streaming network player age but I don't forsee myself ripping my extensive cd collection to disk and then having to back it up etc.

so could I harvest more sound from a newer cd transport or should I stick it out with my modded 9000ES?

Thanks!
photonman
I believe that upgrading to a stand alone DAC and using the sony as a transport is sound advise. I have a disk player however have found that computer audio input can be as good or better for Redbook CD. If considering using a USB/SPDIF converter, get a DAC that has desired input for computer and disk player.
There are a number of ways to allow for better "reading" of the information by your (old school) CD player.

The benefits in sound reproduction are easily heard, and sometimes startlingly better, simply from applying an anti-static spray -- I use Sonic Tonic from Machina Dynamica, on the label side of the physical CD media.

With more than a thousand CD's owned, I have upgraded the listening experience without changing my transport which is the venerable slightly modified JVC XLZ-1050TN CD player. I also treated with the same anti-static spray every interconnect and speaker wire of the system to enhance both CD and analog vinyl performance.

Additionally, attaching Codenamed Turquoise color strips to the CD tray helps by absorbing scattered laser light, without having to color the edges or label surface of each individual CD with any color marker.

Once you satisfy yourself that you have made major improvement with so little effort, there will probably be a yen to alter the support under your CDP and DAC components, and on and on, fully exploiting the capabilities of what you already own.
I have decided to ride out the cd era with my Sony. Vacation and a less than tactful salesperson consolidated my decision. I will do as Listener57 suggested and continue on with my small modifications such as brass footers etc.

I will wait for the Sony to break and force my hand on which direction to go at that point. Thanks for the opinions.
Well, change in plans.

I went ahead and got the Chordette QuteHD and what a wonderful dac for my redbook playback through my passive pre.

I am on the verge of getting a Cyrus transport but I am extremely intrigued by pc audio sources now, especially that a mini-mac with Audirvana or JPlay or JRiver is much less than a good transport. My head is spinning with questions and from reading all the reviews.