calling all vandy 5a owners

hi guys
i`ve had my 5a`s now for about a month,i have about 200 hrs. on them.my system consist of 2 bel canto 200.2 amps monoed blocked,ar sp16 pre.,cary 306/200 cd.my speakers before were vandy 2ce sigs.i loved the sound but wanted more.i am writing this thread because i need your help,the sound i am getting from the 5`s is not that impressive.my dealer is soon coming to tune them up is this what they need.did you owners run into the same thing?your help is appreciated
al
alpass
Can you define what you mean by "sound is not that impressive"? What were your expectations versus what you're hearing? What seems to be missing -- or, conversely, what is present that should not be?

The Vandy Model 5's DO need to be tuned to your room, and while the adjustments to the sub-woofer equalizer are not difficult if you have the right tools, your dealer SHOULD have done this as a routine matter following the sale.

After the speakers have been adjusted, please make another post and share your comments.
I own 5's ... be patient ... right now, without tuning, they are just like any other speaker, dependent on the room. The tuning will change that.

Remember, your job right now is to try to find the right placement in the room without the subs operating. Unplug them and try different room positions. Pick the one that gives you the best imaging and mid-bass and up tonality. The dealer will then tune the bass to that position. This procedure is what separates them from other speakers.

But the first step is up to you ... the dealer will not find the correct room position in the short visit he will be there.
Yes, the 200 hour mark was about where my speakers started comming around. Then I tuned the bass and found most of the gains were actually in the mids. I think your dealer will be able extract the most out of these speakers. When they get fully broken in, I think you will be VERY happy
Jkphoto is right on - you MUST find the proper positioning for your speakers, THEN have the subwoofers tuned to the room by your dealer. Take the spikes off, unplug the subwoofers, then use the "thirds" measurements in the manual to do rough positioning. Move the speakers around and play music you are familiar with until you find the spot in your room where the "magic" occurs. Do not be afraid to move them way out into the room. Do not be afraid to try rotating your room - if the speakers are on the short wall, put them on the long wall, or vice versa.

Eventually you'll find the spot where the speakers sound the best. You'll know it immediately when you hear it. Put the spikes back on, put them in position (mark or write down the positions for future reference) and plug the subs back in. Then have your dealer tune the subwoofers to the room.

It may sound like a lot of work, but it's WORTH IT.