Aerial 7B vs. Thiel 2.4

I am building a HT system and am wondering what other Audiogoner's think about building a HT system around the Aerial products (7b. CC3b and LR3's) or a Thiel system (2.4 as mains, MCS, and 1.6s). I think the Thiels are extremely revealing whereas the Aerials tend to be a bit more mellow. I will most likely be using Krell Showcase as the pre/power combination. Thanks.
robk
While Exertfluffers comments above make good sense, but I reach the opposite conclusion.
I've owned both Thiels (3.6s) and the Aerial 7Bs/CC3/SR3s, and have also auditioned the Thiel 2.4s(2 channel only) at a top Thiel dealer w/good matched gear & a treated room.
IMHO, most DVDs are mixed too bright to begin with, this done intentionally to "create excitement". For me, the result is an exciting 20 minute demo for speakers like the Thiels, but more fatigue over time. The mellower balance of the Aerials helps to compensate, resulting in a more relaxing presentation that lets me focus on the film/storyline in a more natural way. Granted, explosions etc. might not have the same "jump factor" as through the Thiels, but I prefer dialogue through the Aerials, and music integrated into film has a rightness that doesn't force itself on you. For my ears, there is plenty of involvement w/the Aerials, but only when the material calls for it. To each his own...
Cheers, Spencer
As to the above comment: I listened to the Thiels at a local high-end shop - I can't remember the associated equipment, but I have to believe the associated equipment would have been such that they were designed to put the Thiels in a good light. And besides, just my opinion - like Exertfluffer's opinion concerning the Aerials being used for HT -- I have yet to read a review in any magazine that the reviewer didn't go head over heels for them - then again Robk, you would be well advised to listen to both speakers before you invest the kind of money you would need to spend on either.
I've owned both Thiel 2.4s w/MCS-1 center, and LR3s w/CC3b center. Both are very good, and essentially you've identified the main difference. I never had a problem with fatigue setting in with the Thiels, however system matching is more problematic and prone to sounding thin or bright if not matched properly. Generally this is more expensive to achieve with Thiels. I do think the Aerials have an advantage in timbre matching, seamlessness of the front stage, and the ability to play louder without strain during bombastic scenes. The Thiels are fine, and can handle a fair amount of power, but their smaller drivers w/1st order xovrs sound less relaxed when the going gets very demanding. Both need solid power. The Thiels need refined power, whereas the Aerials need an amp that is of good quality, but is a little more crystalline in nature, and has good slam. In either case you will need a good sub since you should be high passing both alternatives at 80hz. For music I prefer the Thiels overall, just more potential imo for 2 channel stereo.
agreed with Sedona and Sbank- I own Aerial 7B's, and they have a relaxing asnd full-bodied quality to them that draws you in. In fact, hearing the Aerial system is what first sold me on the Theta Dreadnaught amp- a magical combo...
Sutts: Interesting observation about pairing up Theta amps with Aerial speakers. I have found that Theta amps also combine quite well with Thiel speakers. In my case, a pair of Enterprises driving my 3.6's and an Intrepid driving my SCS3 and (soon to come) PowerPoints. Thiel and Theta pair up very well. It sounds like Theta and Aerial do as well. To me, this says something about Theta amps. They certinly have impressed me.

Tom.