Sorry, yet another

I'm looking to take my system to the next level, and I'm a firm believer that speakers are one of the most important components for reproduced sound to sound like the real thing.

I'm looking for speaker recommendations in the $6k or under range (used / demo) that can replace my Von Schweikert VR-4 III HSE. These speakers do a lot of things well, and I don't want to lose those qualities, but I want to improve on a few perceived shortcomings (on to that in a second).

So if you have experience or have owned the VR-4s, lay it on me. What did it take to get better sound, and the next level?

But first, my system consists of:
- BAT VK-D5 CD Player w/ Amperex 7308 tubes.
- First Sound Presence Deluxe MKII preamp, also with Amperex 7308 tubes.
- Either Parasound Halo JC-1s or ASL Hurricanes monoblocks (have both, haven't decided on which to keep yet).
- Audience AU24 ICs and speaker cabling, PowerChords

My room is around 25' x 20', and speakers can be placed up to 4' into the room (measured front of speaker to wall behind it). I also have three dedicated 20A circuits.

Listening preferences include a lot of acoustic and electric blues, jazz, female vocal, classic rock, older hard rock, and limited classical.

I like the way the VR4s image (holographic soundstage, detail, somewhat forward presentation), their great natural midrange, airy highs and deep bass. I don't like the shorter soundstage I get and the lack of chest pounding bass slam when called for. Dynamics could be improved a touch as well.

So am I asking too much? Does such a speaker exist, whether dynamic or panel and under $6k?

Note: I haven't spent much time in positioning yet as remodeling is hampering those efforts.

Thanks for the help!
1markr
If you have the room, you might look at a pair of used Dunlavy SCIVA's. They do everything you mention extremely well with a soundstage thats 9 feet tall and 20 feet wide. The bass will slam your chest in if its on the recording, Imaging is pinpoint, Dynamics and detail to die for and a slightly forward presentation. I run mine with a pass x-350 (which made a huge improvement in detail and the midrange from a Krell FPB-200). My price for these 6 foot marvels? $3250 on agon for a 1 yr old pair.
Post removed 
You can upgrade your speakers through Von Schweikert. It costs $2500 to turn your speakers into the 7's. Go to the website and check the Mods. I believe the new 7's go for $25000.
BTW, my speakers are not biwired at the moment. Through the process of elimination, I have the speaker cables connected to the low module, and an AU24 1m jumper going to the top. I guess I can see what bi-wiring will do.

TVAD, I'm ok with the width, though it's not "wall to wall". It's the height that's rather shorter than I like, but it has grown higher with the addition of the First Sound preamp.

PLATO, I agree that I need to spend more time positioning. The Audience cables are known for their speed and bass extension, so I don't think they are a problem. I would love to biamp, but would be a little out of my budgetary means at this point. I knew I was going to give up a little "slam" going to a tubed front end, but I don't think the penalty should be this much though. I wouldn't get rid of the front end due to the naturalness and tonality I get from the tube gear.