The best way to isolate my subs from the floor?

I live in an old home with wood floors that seem to be a little weak. My room vibrates whenever my subs kick in (I have two for loading). They are Von Schweikert SR1's, so these are musical subs, not at all boomy, and they are turned down. It's really an issue of room construction.

Do the products available for other types of speaker isolation work with subs? They are downward firing, so I worry about what I put under them. Can I screw up the sound by putting them on the wrong material.

BTW, on the matter of money, I've spent most of what I had to spend this year, but this can't wait. Cheaper options appreciated. :)

Joy Elyse

p.s. I rent, so nothing permanent and nothing that might damage the house.
joyelyse
The Sistrum SP-004 is a wonderful sub stand. $185. Excellent. Will couple your baby right to mother earth. You can see a picture on their website: audiopoints.com peace, warren
Try something with bicycle innertubes. I used these wrapped around some home-made Sonotube-based subs, with good effect. I have 16" subs, put 3 inner tubes around it, lightly inflated them - worked quite well. Try a platform of MDF with sub on top and innertube flat underneath it.

-Ed
I have seen Vibrapods recommended several times for use under speakers. They are about $6.00 each and are available from several sources. They would be the least expensive option posted so far, won't harm anything, can be easily removed if you don't like the sound, and can also be used under other components.
I have three 1" superballs that are cut in half. Three of the halves are on the floor supporting a piece of MDF. The other three have are between the MDF and the sub. This "double isolation" works great.
Be very careful as you may get what you ask for. Until a year ago I used two pairs of Entec lf40's which had very extended low frequency response. After hearing a friend's system with the same speakers who had put spikes underneathe them, I tried doing the same on my very solid wood floor. This was an unmitigated disaster. The bass seemed to disappear. In speaking with my friend, I learned that his floor was carpeting over a concrete slab.

After some reading, I discovered that wood floors are very similar to drum heads with a very complex pattern of resonances which varies depending on the particular place on the floor that you site something. Concrete slabs apparently flex less and are more predictable.

The moral is not to try anything which you cannot return if it does not work.