Quad ESL 63 in smallish room ?

Squezzing the 63's between 2 wall being 11' 6" apart is probably not adequate.
Even thought they are at a respectable 5 feet from the back wall and that the listening position is a nice 8 feet away, I still think they could do much better in a larger room ,.. what do you think ? thanks Pierre
pboutin
for a similarly transparent sound with much better dynamics and bass with no beaming try the carolina audio jtm's. I longed for some quads till I heard these... they work great in every room I have heard them in for 12 by 13 to 24 by 30.
Well, 11.5 ft isn't too much but it could work. They can be placed close the side walls without creating destructive lst reflections. You don't specify how long your room is so I can't comment about the "5'out" set up, but it does sound as if your listening position may be too distant for good soundstaging. Have you treated the backwall reflections? Are the speakers on stands or on the floor. What are your sonic priorities? What about your present sound do you dislike? Give us more info - maybe someone here can help.
No problem.
"Beaming" is not a bad thing with Quads! All electrostats do that, due to the nature of the drivers.
Like Newbee touched-upon, Quads don't spray "highs" all over the place like a tweeter, so they can be placed next to a side wall.
In fact, 11 feet may probably be too far apart, depending on your listening distance and toe-in. (the five feet from the front wall is a good thing) They're certainly easier to deal-with in a limited width room than other types of speakers.