Lead shot questions

I have a few questions about lead shot as mass loading for speakers.

Is the shot placed loose internally? Bagged? I really dont like the idea of stacking bags on top of the speaker.

What do you do with the acoustic-fil or liners?

Any pointers on getting the shot inside the speaker? Woofer removal, or input terminal removal, or just a common sense lowest point available?

Lastly, with my B & W CDM-9NTs, do you think it would be a worthwhile endeavor?

Thanks in advance.
distortion
Tom, I certainly dont want that. I dont really have any complaints about the Bass, this just seemed like an interesting experiment. Chances are, unless something dramatic happens when I place some weight on top, that I will NOT be opening up the speakers to place weight inside. Thanks for you thoughts and experience.

Eldartford, ohh rest assured the Beer gets first dibs on that CO2. Bottling and priming is a huge pain in the, well yunno, and besides you have to have some pressure to get the beer out of the kegs. Clearly this is the most crucial use =).

That port tube goes pretty deep. I could loosen a driver, fill via the port, allow the air to escape through the driver hole, tighten the driver, and plug the port. I will certainly forward my observations to you if I perform that experiment.

Thanks for the further explanation of mass loading. It isnt the first time I have misunderstood or misused audio terminology. Now that you mention it, I recall reading something on mass loading passive radiators with specific weight to achieve the desired results.
Its not a cure for the bass or any other frequency..Its a sponge that sucks the life out of the speaker or the stand filled with shot underneath. The lead is not sensitive to any selected bandpass of frequencys..They all become screwed up.Tom
If I hadn't upgraded to Talon Khorus's, I would have upgraded the cheesie binding posts on the Cdm-9nt's to Silver WBT's. Then while inside I would have re-wired them with siltech wire with an iternal jumper. I really don't think 9 pounds of lead atop would aid this speaker.
Where can one buy coated lead shot? Being a physician, I'm little worried about using uncoated lead in my house. I have Von Schweikert VR-4JR's and VSA recommends using 50 lbs. of lead shot in each. Speakers do have specifically designed built-in lead- fillable enclosure. Regards.
I used steel coated lead shot in the desgnated base compartments of my VR2s to improve the bass response. It appears to have worked well. The steel coating and isolated chamber should keep contamination at bay. I didn't listen to the speakers at length before adding the shot, because it was recommended by VSA as part of setting them up. I can say that they stage very nicely, therefore, I think the deadening effect, if any, is minimal. I just heard a system that was heavily braced both with lead on top and around the bottom with a total of 4 X 25lb bags per speaker which the owner is certain improved the bass response. I can't be sure if the staging was makedly affected because I never heard the system without the loading.