How to tame the high of harbeth C7

With the following setupI found C7 is on the bright side, can any body can advise anything wrong with my set up?

My setup: Manley Mono-block 175 W
: Preamp: VTL 2.5
CD Player: Marantz Cd-11
Cable: MIT 330 plus
Speaker cable: Ecosse 2.3
Stand:20"

mark
Note: anyone who says "inherent sizzle in these bbc type desings" has never heard a pair of Harbeth Compact 7ES-II. Take any advice with a huge grain of salt.

Charlie

p.s. What cds do you notice this with?
Or Compact 7, or 7ES (I), they're all the same except for minor cosmetic differences and a slightly revised formulation of the woofer material in the last series (but not corresponding to the name change). The drivers, crossovers and cabinet specifications are all the same. They are very revealing. So a mismatch between preamp and amp, or an underpowered amp, or a bad amp will be revealed. How they will sound with a solid state amp depends on the solid state amp. If it's bright, they will sound bright. If it's dark, they will sound dark.

I have measured mine in a couple of real world rooms. They are dead flat from just below 50 hz to 1.6khz, then dip into the presence region coming back to flat at 5khz. In my larger room with no reflection problems, they then have a slight, very slight, roll-off after 12-13khz, but not much. In a smaller room with reflection problems from ceiling and walls or windows, because the tweeter has such wide dispersion, I have seen too much energy in the 6-10khz region, which can sound sizzly. This is not a fault of the speakers - they do not measure that way in an anechoic chamber or in my larger room, and other speakers in that smaller room have the same exaggerated response in the 6-10khz region. So, w/re the original question, the relationship between the speakers and the room is the first place to look.

And regarding the wires. The dealer from whom I bought my 7's (Alastair Gardner at Signals in the UK, who has sold more of them than anyone) recommends Nordost Blue Heaven, which is a little bright, if that is possible, and he wouldnt make that recommendation if it didnt make sense. I do use reputedly smoother AQ cables with mine.

Paul
Tks for all your feedback.

I'm not sure if it will perform better with just a good integrated amp? Any body using transister integrated amp with C7 and get good results?
I am not familiar with your equipment, so I can't say for sure that the following suggestion will work. However, I was able to tame the brightness in my system with the AH! LS Noise Killer. This is a small filter that you hook to the tweeter terminals on your speakers. It only costs $50, but I do not think you can return it if it doesn't work, so proceed with caution. Suggest you read the reviews at audioreview and search the forums at audioasylum for more info.
Mark,

I used to use a Creek 5350SE with my C7s. It worked perfectly. A bit underpowered for large scale orchestral moments, but listening in near-field, I never pushed it to clipping.

Please don't fool with the speakers. Mr Shaw did all that for you. Work on the rest. Maybe your cd player is flawed? You could borrow another one and see. I have a lesser Marantz changer in a second system that doesn't get tizzy, but I did find the DAC1 to be quite satisfying in my main rig. (I still use the original, and you can find them here cheap.)

Charlie