How often to Audiophiles upgrade their equipment?

I am eternally confused as to how and when I should spend my money. I started into this hobby a little more seriously about 3 years ago and have the bug in full now. I do very much enjoy listening to music. However, there is always confustion on how to spend my money. I am not being very clear. Let me start again.

Currently I have a home theater setup in the family room with a Rotel RSX-972 reciever, B&W 603S3 mains, LCR600 CC, ASW1000 SW, 602S2 surrounds, Sony 999ES DVD/SACD and Sony KP51WS500 TV. I have started a second budget system in the main living room for music only and it has Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers, Rotel 1060 Amp, and Rotel 961 CD player.

I am generally quite happy with this setup and enjoy them very much. But off course I am always thinking what can I do better and if I should at all. Having a young family, I doubt I will ever buy some of the very high end euipment or if I would want to. But I have an opportunity to uprgade my speakers now with a very small loss. I was thinking of the 604S3, but having looked at them, they are just too big and frightened me off. The next step up to the B&W CDM series is quite a bit more. But to go to that line, I should probably also upgrade my amplification first.

I guess what I am getting at is, how long do "real" audiophiles stay happy with their equipment and when do they decide it is time to upgrade. For example, I was thinking of always sticking with a budget, and stick with my equipment for say 5 years (unless their is something terribly wrong) and then get new equipment/newer models different brands but using the same amount of money as in the original budget five years earlier.

If this question makes any sense, please relate your thoughts and experiences.
schugh
Oh Satch, I didn't say I was a responsible guy. I'm trying very hard to be one though. It sounds like [email protected] is young and wants some earnest advice. The $14,000 I spent on my rig (which isn't even considered high-end by today's standards) ten years ago, if put in the mutual funds I had at the time (despite the big drop)would have given me a $21,000 return. Add that to the initial $14,000 and I would have $35,000 today. Given that scenario, I could buy a pretty good rig and have lots of cash left to save, invest or spend frivolously.
It's just an option that should be considered. I truly wish I would have invested that $14K ten years ago. But, I'm a middle-class kind of guy whose been around long enough to give some good advice. Maybe you're not. In fact, you're obviously very young and doing what most of us do at young ages - live life for today. Man, I miss those days. I've got a family to provide for now. Some day, you'll understand.
Make that two cocktails.
Cheers mate, and thanx for the compliment - I'm not that young anymore, I just haven't learned anything from the past :). Seriously, you're right offcourse. Food, shelter, clothes etc. is much more important than equipment, especially when you can buy cheap or seondhand gear and listen to music. True, it won't sound as good as the so called high-end, but good music remains good music, whatever equipment it is played on. Geez..... I've learned something afterall!! I'll make that 3 cocktails....
I was in a high-end shop the other day and this guy comes in asking about a $7K plasma. He was asking about financing options, and mentioned to the sales guy that he had maxed out his credit cards. You could tell that this poor soul had lust in his heart for this plasma and was going to get it somehow and pay a ton of interest for it to boot.

If you look at the utility you get out of something as a proportion of your income, it should make sense. I thoroughly enjoy listening and spend time almost every day. How many folks have boats, jet skis, etc. that hardly ever get used? It is got to make sense for each individual.

With that said, I can't wait for my next CDP and AMP and ......
Satch, I'll match your three cocktails and up it two! Cheers back to you. An audio forum should focus on audio, not finance. For that reason, I was off course. However, I've gotten some very good advice from fellow Agoners and have cyberacted with some very desent people. Agon is also about helping fellow members out. From that stand point, I was right on course.
Well 2chnlben, I drank all of them damn cocktails, and now I've got a terrible hangover. Next time I'll buy some more equipment instead of booze...