Where's Digital playback at today ?

Pardon my ignorance on this subject as I have not be around any digital playback for over 10 years.,..Some back ground, over a decade ago out of pure curiosity I purchased a Sony SCD777es .
Over the coarse of the three plus years that I owed this player I had it modified with all the stuff that was popular back then for this particular model.
Comparing other more expensive and popular digital players of the day back then ultimately left me cold.
So hence the title of my query, what's out there for under $8000.00 that a vinyl head could possibly warm up too?
Thank you
128x128in_shore
'Bill Hobba knows my equipment, at least the Off-Ramp 4.'

Sure do - and its good stuff.

But its vitally important to not take my, Steve's, or any-ones word for anything - you MUST hear it for yourself and in your own system.

For example I tried the Killer DAC with Steve's OR4 as source compared to a really wild upgradaded battery powered Wadia transport. Now normally the OR4 SLAUGHTERS transports. Not in this case - the transport was harmonically rich and very pleasing to listen to, the OR had better tighter bass and greater detail but a whiteness to it I don't think would appeal to analogue guys. I actually preferred the transport, but it wasn't the type of thing you would say one is better than the other for sure - others may prefer the OR.

Bottom line is you must listen for youself.

Thanks
Bill
In_Shore

Things have improved significantly in the last 10 years. Mostly the jitter is now lower than ever. Also DACs are using better digital filters and some use none, which is best. Other advancements are in ground-loop isolation and preamps.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Bill - time to add the Dynamo power supply to your OR4. Also, the Plasmatron from vhaudio.com makes a huge difference. These together deliver a very analog sound, even with 44.1 files.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio