Snell Reference A Tower v. Paradigm Studio 100 v2

I'm facing a choice here, and I'd greatly appreciate the group's input. For the past few years I've owned the Snell A Reference Towers, and have used them in my stereo system. These are large and tall floor-standing speakers with outboard crossovers. I've always thought these were beautiful sounding speakers, with little distortin and great detail. But ... I never felt the sound staging and imaging were very solid or precise.

A few weeks ago a friend asked me for recommendations for a moderately priced system. I recommended the Paradigm Studio Reference 100 ver2 speakers, powered by a Plinius 8200mkII integrated amp. Well, the other day I went to this friend's house to hear his system, and to let him try some Blue Heaven cables and Vibrabods.

I was blown away by his sytem, which cost half or less than mine. The Paradigms threw up a powerful, unshakable and very stable sound stage and imaging. The imaging was stable throughout quite a large listening area. Now I'm thinking of selling my Snells (which listed for $14k new), and getting the Paradigms ... which can be bought new for around $1900.

I will ask my friend if I can borrow his Paradigms for a few hours and see if I get the sam esults here as we did at his place. One potential problem I have is the ceiling in the listening room. Above the speakers, it's about 20' high; but at the listening position it's 9' high. I've been thinking of gluing sound absorbing panels to an area comprising about 1/3 of the ceiling's total area.

But (and here's the question), am I off my rocker for considerng selling $14,000 speakers and buying $2200 speakers?

BTW, I've already put sound absorbing panels on the wal behind the speakers because they're fairly close to the walls. Rest of system:

Plinius CD-LAD preamp
Adcom 555II amps, bridged to mono
heavily modified DP59L 'table with The Statemtn by Grado
Sony XA7ES
Lieder interconnecs
Bear Labs speaker cable
Plinius Jarrah phono stage
Snell SUB 1800 powered by Hsu 250 watt amp
homemade turntable isolation platform
homemade record cleaning machine (blows ... err, sucks away the competition ... i.e., Disc Doctor and VPI)

So, gentlemen (and ladies) ... please, weigh-in with your comments on this dilemma I face. Thanks in advance!

Best regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
hope you found what you are looking for in a system!
i have the monitor 9 and and have compared it to everything
under $6000. i also own the studio 80. these speakers are
awesome! while brands like b&w are good for certain kinds of music i.e. classical and acoustic. the paradigms are satisfactory in all catigories. i found that good cables
actually can make these sound incredible! hey if it sounds
good it sounds good. i suggest using a brighter sounding
speaker wire with darker sounding interconnects.
I second Aram, Bishopwill, and Pbb. My 100.2s have replaced B&W N804s. The Paradigm 100.2s are simply an outstanding speaker in nearly every way. What you are hearing at your friend's house is what you are hearing indeed. I would try them first just to make sure the room is still ok for them but in my experience the 100.2s are incredibly easy to position - put them anywhere you want and they sound great with little sound difference - so I think you will get similar results as your friend. Also, I would upgrade your electronics with the money saved on the 100.2s. Many Paradigm dealers pair the 100.2s with subpar electronics and the sound is, well, subpar and so they get brushed off by many. With great electronics you will discover amazing sound from these speakers. Forget the price and trust your ears. Get them and try them - you may sell your Snells afterall. Arthur
I've learned through the years to disregard the snob appeal factor. I refuse to buy a speaker that only sounds good with this type of music, or needs this kind of cable, etc., etc. I've found the speakers I'm happiest with are those that "always" sound good. I looked long and hard a couple of years ago and the Sudio 100's were runner up to the PSB Stratus Gold i's I purchased. Both are very good and I often question wheter I made the correct choice, but I'm sure had I bought the 100's I would have asked the same quesion. Either of these heavy hitters will do the job on all kind of music.