To Bi or not to Bi? That is the question

I have recently purchased a pair of Dahlquist CA2 and W2 speakers. These were/are a fabulous speaker designed to be bi-wired or bi-amped. For those not familiar, there are two cabinets, one for the highs (D'appollito array) and the other cabinet contains 2 6.5" woofers. The two cabinets stack one on top of the other and are bridged together. I currently am using the same amp I had to drive my old speakers which is a "modest" Hafler 9180 (105wpc). Needless to say, I'm not getting the best from my new speakers. What I am looking for help with is in the biamping process. I really like the 9180 which has that warm MOSFET sound and am thinking of keeping the amp to run the top cabinets. I would then like to get a stronger amp (looking at Hafler or Bryston)to drive the bass cabinets. I am a little concerned because I have read differing opinions on using two different powered amps in this configuration - some say they should be the same amp while others say a combo produces good results. What do you think? Also, my pre-amp only has only one set of outs for the mains, so a Y would be needed here - which brings me to another problem - where to fing a high quality Y (I am currently using AQ Opal to go to the main amp)? Thanks for the help in advance! BTW: I do not use an external crossover. Tony
treyhoss
Tmcroy somehow I've become a bass freak realy believing that subharmonic bass freequencies drow the main line of a sound signature and imaging. I also have the same monos as you do and probably will be planning to acquire 200W/ch-ish SS amp that is probably specifically great for bass(I believe it could be McCormack DNA1). The speakers that I have are Totem Forest(a great value for the bass freaks). I will also look towards building an active crossover with Marchand parts since I also believe that there is no point using different amps in passive bi-amping.
It is OK to use amps of a same kind without active external crossover.

If you can wait and stretch you budget(not realy big) or even browse to find used models of Rogue 88(power amp) and Rogue Tempest(integrated) that are designed for biamping together, you'll never regret. I might mistake on model numbers which means there are Rogue amps ntegrated and power amp having the same output power and double outputs for bi-amplification i.e. do the research.

And finally, I've enjoyed reading such controversal responces although choose to stay with my position that is completely in sink with Tmcroy.
Hi Marakanetz,

My 100 monos are very early and offer ultralinear only, a sort of compromise between pentode (being EL34 type tubes)and triode.
Your ears will very soon tell you which is right, but if you are crossing over to a solid state amp (mosfets being slightly tube-like in sound make life easier than bi-polar transistors), then I would expect tetrode to be better.
Tetrode is closer to solid state in being less "lush" and edging both amps towards each other in sound helps. VTL's are good as they do not have a particularly "tubey" sound.

Anyway, trust your ears - you have to listen to the result and I have NEVER heard anything that sounded totally right - especially immediately after listening to live music!

One thing I have found usefull is (assuming you are male) finding a woman (preferably fairly young so the top end of her hearing hasn't gone - for that reason avoid party animals as well) prepared to sit down and listen to female vocals.
They have much more sensitive ears than men in the vocal range and everyone has a good live reference for the human voice.
I have found the acid test is their willingness to listen for long periods, assuming they have the time. This at least tells you that there are no significant nasties or annoying discontinuities in the sound that males can't quite hear - but are fatigued by.

I understand your love of good bass. If it is quick and clean it does provide a great foundation that adds to the pleasure of the music.

Best of luck and trust your ears.
I have found that you can have a LOT of fun if your wife and/or girlfrind are bi. Especially after some Xs and coke.

Johnnybravo, peace, love, overandout...