Phonostage: Wavac vs Doshi vs Tron

I am looking to add another phonostage to my system. I currently have the Essential 3160 preamp with phono. This has a MC and MM input Since I now have multiple tables, I wanted to add more phono inputs. Looking at the used market and what is available that I am considering is either a Doshi 2.1 phonostage, Wavac LCR-X2 or Tron Seven Reference. Any thoughts or experience from our readers? It is difficult for me to listen in my system as I am looking for used items. My Cartridges are Koetsu Coralstone/Onyx, FR7fz, Ikeda 9CIII, SPU Gold, Transfiguration Proteus and some high end MM's like Technics EPC-P100C and AKG P100LE.
ddriveman
Ddriveman,

Unfortunately, I don't recall comparing the Doshi and Essential phono stages only. We could have done by sending the output of each phono to either line stage, but we weren't considering your particular scenario.

That said, the standalone Alaap phono stage (which I've heard in several systems including my own) is certainly a standout. It's superior to my two-chassis, full function unit in dynamics and bottom end punch, while giving up nothing in subtletly and harmonic richness.

Nick's attention to grounding scheme, power supply stability, impedance matching between gain stages and hand-picked/bespoke parts pays sonic dividends. Gain is sufficient for even the lowest output MCs. Dynamic range, speed and impact are genuinely shocking, yet the sound floor is the lowest and subtlest that I've personally heard. MC input impedance levels are switchable and individual settings can be customized to your choices if you wish.

Owner support is... what one expects at this price point. Nick has made many improvements since I bought my generation 1 (before Doshi Audio went "public"). Paul and I helped him evaluate several internal components and grounding schemes before he rolled them into production models or offered them as owner upgrades (often for free). In addition to being one of the smartest men I've ever met, Nick's also one of the nicest and most modest.

I'm sure Raul's owner support is similar. He did, after all, fly 2000 miles just so we could hear his (then new) 3150, even though he knew we weren't in the market for another preamp. He just wanted to put his creation up against the best, in other people's systems.

I've been told (but haven't heard) that some of the improvements in the 3160 are in areas such as sound floor and harmonics, which is where even my older Alaap bettered the 3150. Similarly, some of Nick's improvements are in areas such as low frequency tightness and oomph where the 3150 was stronger. It seems that the best SS and tube units are gradually converging as their respective designers strive to produce the perfect straight wire with gain from different but valid topologies.

Happy hunting!

Hi Ddriveman,

Of the units listed above, I have owned the Alaap V2.1 full function preamp (i.e, with the customized MM/MC stages) and the Zyx Artisan. The Doshi is entirely in another class (as is should be given the price differential), particularly when it comes to the frequency extremes, resolution of low level detail, and more lifelike timbre. I would further echo Dougdecon's comment above - he did a nice job of capturing what the unit does well. I have heard the WAVAC at shows, but too little experience with it in a controlled environment to comment (other than that it is very attractive looking gear).

Another unit you may consider in that approximate used price range that shows up on Audiogon is the Basis Exclusive IIx with the gold boards - extremely quiet, outstanding bass performance, solid macro and microdynamics - it is the only solid state unit I have heard in extended sessions <$15k that really impressed me.

Best of luck.
I bought a new TRON Reference earlier this year and am really happy. Exquisite (really exquisite) build quality and very natural sounding- not lush or warm at all. Some might call it un-tube like, but it just sounds natural and musical.
You could consider the Air Tight ATE2. It has 2 phono and 1 line inputs. It is built like a tank and has a marvelous sound that is much more appreciated in Japan than in our countries.
It deserves better attention than it really has