Ok, some of you suggested Magnepan 1.6QR

But which to drive it properly? High current amps seem to be prefered than warm tube amps; true or false?
nachtmusik_sgb77f
The AyreV3 is a great match with the Maggies. I very happy with the way it drives my 1.6's. Match that up with a good tube preamp, and you have a slice of audio heaven. I mate mine with an Audible Illusions M3A with all the latest upgrades. Best-Gary
Having owned Maggie 3.5r's for quite a while, and auditioning numerous amps, the Hafler 9500/9505 series is as good as anything else under $6500. These Haflers are not well-known, but GREAT value. 9500 series were Stereophile "b" recommended. Until I heard the big Levinson, nothing else was as good as the Haflers. For big money the Levinson 336 sounds quite good w/Magnepan. You may want to try Hafler and have money left over for more music/tweaks/etc!
I don't want to suggest that the 1.6's sounded bad with the dna. In fact it was quite excellent. It IS a good match! I just noticed that you could hear the tube 'liveness' and the solid state 'deadness' much more so through the 1.6's. I've never heard a speaker for which this was more apparent. The coherence provided by the panel driver was augmented by a tube amplifier's spaciousness. Amps shine with different speakers. The dna was head and shoulders the better than my vt100 with my old Vandersteen 3aSignatures, and neck and neck on my AP virgo's. Individual tastes will vary.
I have used the 1.6 with the VAC 30/30, Classe CAP-100, Classe CA300, Sim Moon I-5, VAC integrated, Magnum MD-208 and the Audio Research 100.2.....and the speaker is just superb with them all.
TRY A SPECTRAL AMP IT IS LIKE A RACE CAR AND HAS ALOT OF CURRENT WILL HAVE THE MAGGIES DANCING OFF THE FLOOR.