Optimum speaker placement

I am about to go to war with my wife and set up the 2ch/5.1ch in the den as optimally as possible. Before I bring it to her (and the negotiations begin), I need to know what constitutes the "ideal" placement arrangement. I know that mathmatical formulas have been around for years, however I haven't any clue what they are. Additionally, room treatments will play a significant role. Does anyone know of any printed material (or web-based) that I can review? Thanks in advance for your advice. - Ken
kgproperties
Check out Cardas Cable's site at Cardas.com for good math and insight on speaker placement.
try the link listed below. Just a bit down the page, there are several different methods for doing speaker placement. As mentioned, this includes Cardas, Wilson, Audio Physics, etc... All of these pertain to 2 channel though, so you'll have to adapt to your individual room and installation. Keep in mind that no "formula" can take into account each rooms various furnishings, acoustics and your speakers dispersion pattern. Trial and error still works best, but at least reading the various ideas will give you a baseline as to what your working with. Sean > http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq.html