Amp/Pre-amp for Vandersteens

I am looking to move up from my present system. Want to stay with VAndersteen 2cis. Front end is mostly CAL 10 changer with ocassional vinyl, so I need a phono stage. Total budget approx. $2500. Any thoughts appreciated. I am seriously considering McCormack DNA 0.5 or 1 DLX. Probably want to go SS or hybrid. Presently running ARC SP9 MKII and NYAL Moscode 300.
128x128swampwalker
I think you're making a good move with the McCormack. When you're ready for the pre-amp, the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A is one to consider. It has a very well respected phono stage. I've been using one with a DNA-1 Deluxe (waiting for it to return any day now from it's upgrade) and have been very happy. I'm using Thiel CS3.6's and I've been told they have a lot in common with the Vandersteen's.
keep your SP9 and get an audio research amp like a VT50 and a Vandersteen 2wq subwoofer. You won't need much power when you use the sub and it makes my 2ce's sing! I have a set up like this and I love it!
I recently sold my Vandy 2Ce's and upgraded to the 3A's. I am driving them with a Bryston 4B-ST, and I am VERY pleased with the combination (so is my wife, who has much better hearing than I do). The Bryston is very transparent and neutral, and provides detail from both LP and CD that I have never heard before in my system. If you decide to consider Bryston gear, I have a suggestion to save you some money. Contact the guy that sold me my Bryston gear, Danny Oovlin. Oovlin advertises in Stereophile, and runs an Internet-based high-end audio business located in Santa Clara, CA. The easiest way to reach him initially is by E-mail at: [email protected]. Give Danny your phone number and he will return your call. I found him to be very prompt and professional, and he offers excellent prices.
I just bought a dna-1 rev A w/bal inputs and it makes the vandersteens 3a sigs sound better than the vt100m2 or my sonic frontiers sfm-160s (160 watt tube amps). The bass and articulation are excellent. By the way, the 3asig is the voicing speaker used by smc audio for doing the revision upgrades.
I run what some might judiciously call "vintage budget". I have the 2Ci, on their original "T" shaped metal stands. I drive them with Harman Kardon 17s pre-amp and 16As amp. I am very pleased. I do classical and jazz. I can even do the Telarc LP of the 1812 with the cannons, and feel them, plus hear the small tinkles of a triangle in another part. The H-K amp is biased further in to class A than many - I don't know if that makes a difference. I run them through the original Monster cable - the big round one the diameter of a garden hose. However, I also have heavy duty jumpers at the banana jacks, so not bi-amped.