Tube cdp's and Tubed Output cdp's

I don't know much about cdp's that use tubes and I'd like to understand more about the. Thanks in advance for all your helpful information.

My first question is, what types of tube cdp's are there? (i.e. Tube cdp, tubed output cdp)

Second, what are the advantages of using a tube cdp vs. a ss cdp?

Third, if you use a tube cdp, do you have to let the tubes warm up before using it to listen to music?

Thanks again for all your responses,
Mike

I'm currently using a Level 1+ Music Hall CD25 that was modified by Part Connexion. (Goes into a Sunfire preamp and Sunfire amp to Klipsch Legend series speakers.)

I have recently switched to NBS Master III speaker cables which have really brought out the midrange and have tamed the brightness of my Klipsch speakers.

My objective: Improve the midrange and clarity even more and make the sound smoother.
vman71
I agree, this is a very good thread indeed...One which I hope to confuse even further.

The system listed in my virtual system is the one I've lived with for over a year and a half. Just over a month ago I received a solid state Ack! Dack! 2.0 to compare to my Kora Hermes tube DAC. About two weeks ago I received a Bel Canto SET40 high powered SET amp. And just last week I received an eXemplar Exception II preamp.

In the last five years, I have had only three different DACs in my system. The two listed above and before them a Bel Canto DAC 1.1. Of the three the Kora is by far the most musical to me. Can this be attributed to the tubed output stage? That would be my guess, but different design philosophies could also be what makes the difference, and my sampling of DACs is so small I'd be hesitant to state anything concrete.

In addition to the DACs, I am currently comparing two tubed preamps, and a solid state amp versus the SET amp. I have taken care to compare each component to its counterpart in as isolated a circumstance as possible, and the shocking thing to me is that the the two components that sound the most disparate are the DACs. Almost like night and day. And the funny thing is that I like both!

The two preamps I'm comparing have a similar character, but the eXemplar just has a bigger, more musical presentation than the Blue Circle. It could just be the difference in the model class levels, and therefore less compromises being taken with the more expensive unit.

Surprisingly, the SET40 and the BAT VK200 don't sound drastically different. I definitely prefer the SET40, but to hear the differences I have to cycle through many CDs, and even then the contrasts aren't that startling.

As far as using tubes for the DAC, preamp and amp being too much of a good thing, I'm lucky to say that this isn't the case in my system. No overly soft or round sound here. It seems the strengths of tubes have been magnified by having all three components of this design. Big soundstage, great imaging and a seductive and realistic midrange. I'm still stunned at how well the SET40 does bass.

Can a solid state CD player or DAC create good sound? Absolutely, but whether it'll sound like tubes or if you'll like it more than tubes is something only you can decide.

Sorry for the rant and slight thread redirection, but I just thought it might be interesting to share that of the components that I'm comparing, the ones with the biggest sonic contrast are my DACs.
You guys are going to get me into trouble, cause clearly I need to go out and listen to some more DACs!

Glad to hear the SET40 is pleasin' ya Goombah! Sounds like the Exemplar is, well, exemplary! Where are you putting all this stuff, you ain't got no room in there to squeeze anything else? I think you ought to send over some of your surplus for me to store up here in Seattle till you straighten things out in your bachelor pad. Ping me off the list and we'll set it up!

Marco
I agree with Sonicbeauty. I am running a tube CDP Eastern Electric Minimax with a Cayin-TA30 and love the results. I would say however that depending on you listening habits and music choices it may or may not be the best for you. I listen to a lot of jazz so great mid-range is key. I alsways feel like I miss a little with rock or classical, but I definitely don't miss the palpable digititis that a mid-fi SS system might have.