Separate Transport & DAC: Why not?

Hello: While searching related topics I've run across a growing number of posts that discourage the notion of a separate transport and dac. The most common reasons given has to do with "more": more wires, longer, more complex signal path, etc. What are your opinions, pro and con and the reasoning behind them? If, though, this topic has been already addressed in detail, perhaps someone has post a link to that thread? FWIW, I've come across a great Pass Labs D1 and I'm wondering whether I should find a nice transport or perhaps sell the D1 and buy a CD player. Thanks!
veloceracing
I use a separate dac and transport because it sounds better. My soundstage shrinks in depth and width and my speakers reappear with my standard redbook play on my Sony scd-1. I use a theta genVa for my redbook.

I auditioned the pass labs d1, while auditioning for my system. The disadvantage of the d1 as a preamp it will only allow you digital inputs. The pass labs d1 is great sounding and very musical. A very noticeable improvement over Wayne Colburn’s adcom reference cd player.

An old review of the pass labs D1
http://calab.kaist.ac.kr/~cgkim/audio/amp/zen/www.passlabs.com/d1_ua.htm

my system, Thiel 2.3’s, pass labs x-350, x-2, Sony SCD-1, theta gen va

Enjoy
dave
Are there any DAC's with a volume control?

As I consider separates, I see a big advantage in players such as the well regarded Resolution Audio or the Audio Aero Capitole. You get the player, DAC and preamp in one package. And you spend less on cables.
The Birdland Audio Odéon-Ag DAC has a built-in, remote controllable volume control.