General transport Question

I am currently using an Arcam FMJ-23T to feed my Dodson DAC-263. I am also experimenting with various DIPS in between.

My question is what value having a dedicated transport would be as opposed to using a CDP as a transport. I am also considering a modded unit like Sony DVP-S7700 or Pioneer DV-47A.

I guess I am looking for input as to what the best way to go would be, if any. Would a new transport or modded player provide a big improvement. What units (new or modded) should I consider? There does not seem to be a ton of talk about transports, or reviews of them available.

Thanks

Eric
ehoehn
Getting a better digital cable is the answer. Transports make a difference but a better cable will offer greater improvements from my experience. Borrow a few from your local dealer and find out for yourself.

Happy Listening.
Jafox,

There is a local guy in New Jersey who has the same CDP as you but he modified it and it betters many other CDPs and also separates we compared it to. We tried many transports adn we always came back to the digital cable as offering the greatest improvement. His Pioneer is simply fantastic.

Happy Listening
Kind of the catch 22. Yes, a better cable will/might help a lesser/unmodified player---but that same cable will help the better transport-only setup, as well. Don't underestimate the benifit of a quality transport.IMO, one could use the so so tt with a quality phono stage or cart. or phono cable---It all starts with the spinning thing.
Jitter is definitely the great bugaboo of many transports. When I was putting together my first new system in 15 years, I opted for a DVD player/external DAC combination thinking that the external DAC would provide all of the performance improvement I needed. I was greatly disappointed in the performance and didn't know where to look for ways to improve matters. I borrowed a dbx Quantum mastering processor to experiment with EQ and to my great surprise, without any EQ at all, the sound was better than I'd ever heard. The difference was the reclocking that was done and the subsequent reduction in jitter. Since I couldn't afford a Quantum, I searched for another solution and found a device called the Tent X3. It's a reclocking circuit that you can add to some standard CD players that replaces the original system clock, then refines the edges of the S/PDIF signal that it generates. The results are remarkable. I took a Marantz CD67(?) player which was horrible as a transport and turned it into an amazing transport with the addition of this device. I would suspect that very high end transports do all kinds of things to reduce jitter.

As far as cables go, I think a bad cable can mess up a good transport but I've never heard a good cable compensating for a bad transport.
Jlambrick- I agree with you on the benefits of reclocking. Where can one find more information on the Tent X3?