EMM Labs DAC6

Is anyone aware of any digital equipment that can compete with EMM Labs? What about Redbook?
haydn_josef
Jposs- I am unaware of
many widely known problems
for EMM labs gear, the transport has a heat problem with one chip on the transport which has been confirmed at the hi-rez highway, and a fix has been found. As for Emm labs there components have a flawless record in the field. The transport is a SACD1000 which retailed for $2000(I sure hope NO one paid that for it) and then another $1750 for the modification to output SACD digitally- so even at full bore retail its only $3750- which is a far cry from $10k. Emm labs is now aware of this problem, and they have been and still are working on there own transport to work with there DAC's, which is due out late this year early next year. The fix for the current SACD1000's is a piece of cake and most folks can do it themselves, so it really doesn't seem like a problem any more.

Some people drive a civic for it reliablity(sorry for that analogy mike:) other's prefer the performance of a Ferrari, and realize that it may not be as reliable as a civic- but its a risk they feel worth while. And when it comes down to it Ferrari's are pretty darn reliable considering what they are capable of, just like Emm labs. I bet bose would be trouble free for years and years.
Even if the modified transport is only 3750, the dac only works with this transport, or am I mistaken about that? Therefore, if the dac is rendered useless by a flawed transport, you are effectively out 10k.

Your analogy isnt necessarily proper, because they could have used a Corolla engine in their Ferrari that gives fewer problems, with not so dissimilar results.

I can't say that for sure, I have not heard the SACD 1000. However there is not a consensus saying that the Phillips is the ultimate tranpsort for SACD.

It is good to know they are developing their own transport, and I don't know that reliablility was an issue when they chose the Phillips originally. However it does not change the fact that it was a poor choice, whether it was knowingly poor or just shitty luck.
I think Ed Meitner was quite impressed with the Phillips 1000 and the possibility of room to install his conversion board and outputs. He did not know the future of the 1000. I do not think anyone would have expected the failures of the 1000 as I know of no other such instance. I do concede, however, that having bought the DAC6 and experienced a failure of my 1000, I wonder about the wisdom of depending on this transport, even if Alex has found a fix.
I also have a Lindemann which has proven entirely dependable and excellent sounding. In a comparison with the Phillips 1000 before I got my Meitner, I could certainly hear a difference between the units, but could not decide which was superior.
Jposs: You are partially mistaken. Any transport can be used with the EMM Labs DAC 6 or DCC 2, for CD playback, as long as it has a AES/EBU connection. For SACD playback, the modified Philips or EMM Labs soon to be released transport are the only choices.

I think most of those who have purchased the EMM Labs DACs, have done so for it's virtues of CD playback. SACD is the bonus.

I would also still disagree with your terminology of "poor choice" in relationship to the Philips. Sonically, I have not heard a better SACD / CD mechanism. Those who wish to pay for a new mechanism, can do so and will not have the same potential problem. It is not a lot of money in terms of the big picture.

I would love for you to hear the combo. I am sure you will understand why most people, even with the knowledge of the existing problems with the drive are continuing to purchase and request the modification.

Tireguy is correct with regards to the original pricing of the Philips, but most of those who have purchased the player for modification have not paid more than $600 (player)plus the $1050 (modification). The new price for modification is $1400 which automatically includes the new mechanism and comes with an EMM Labs warranty. There is no profit in the new pricing and as a matter of fact, it is more of a loss than anything else as there is more labor involved.

Tbg: The break-in period for the DAC and transport is around 400 - 500 hours. They go through a lot of changes and I am sure you will be very surprised at the difference between what you heard in the short time you were able to listen and once it is broken in. Some have reported a horribly bright, etched and closed sound at first and nirvanna after continued use.
I just saw the list of Best Sound rooms at the San Francisco show. (attendees' votes) I see a few other digital sources mentioned in the best rooms, but I don't see EMM mentioned anywhere...? Was EMM in any of the 28 rooms mentioned?