One reason why audio is suffering: Connectivity

Complaints about the decline of audio enthusiasm as part of the general population are constant on A'gon and other forums. There are many reasons for this decline, but I wanted to pinpoint one big issue:

Connectivity, as in connections between components, is very difficult to navigate, even for a committed stereophile like myself. Here are some sources being used by my family (kids & wife) and myself:

iPhone/iPad: using their DAC, we can now hook them up through RCA connections into my 2-channel rig. But it isn't particularly convenient, so I regularly find my wife listening to mp3 songs on her blasted iPhone while she's literally 5 feet from a $6K system. (Which she knows how to operate, just so you know.) Hooking a component up each time you want to listen to it is a pain.

My daughters mini iPod. No way to hook it up. She listens to it on some $25 speakers -- right next to the $6k family room rig.

More on my daughter: I was very pleased recently to see her sitting on the couch listening to pop songs and not doing anything else. That's how being a music fan starts - you want to listen to some music so much you do it to the exclusion of any other activity. I'm proud of her. But she's listening to the songs on a Wii through our blasted TV set. I don't even know how to plug the Wii into my 2-channel stereo.

Our Apple laptop: USB audio out, although the sound quality probably sucks. (I'm not a fan of PC audio.) No way to connect it to the 2-channel rig. My wife was actually listening to music the other day on the Apple laptop -- a few feet away from the aforementioned stereo rig.

Note that we have a DVD/CD player and TV (through the cable box) flowing through my 2-channel preamp and so we use the 2-channel rig for sound in those cases. But changing to the TV output requires flipping a switch, and is yet one more thing to do. We’re about to start using Roku as part of an effort to decrease our cable bills. We’ll now have a microjack input which can be fed into the 2-channel rig, which I will take care of, but be assured that if I wasn’t around to set up this connectivity, my wife would throw up her hands and listen to music through Roku on the TV set. (Let’s leave aside the fact that the current Roku models don’t support lossless.)

So the big picture here is that I have some family members who’d prefer to listen to music (they can easily tell the sound quality difference) through our fairly pricy family room 2-channel rig but that doing so is so complicated due to connectivity issues that it’s just not worth the bother. Only because there is a dedicated audiophile in the house (me) are some of the sources set up to feed the stereo.

The audio industry desperately needs to initiate a new type of high-quality modified preamp that
1)accepts everything, from RCA jacks to SPDIF (all types) to HDMI to USB to wireless;
2)one that switches between these automatically depending on the feed;
3) that outputs both analog and digital signals through various connections.

Rant off. Thanks for your time.
jult52
The Roksan Oxygene line accepts the usual 3 RCA inputs and up to 16 different devices via Bluetooth. They recently bought out the design line from some European design house and they do look nice.
http://oxygene.roksanaudio.com/
I have no financial interest: I just think they look great.

It appears someone is listening but it will take awhile for others to catch on. I can appreciate the frustration.

All the best,
Nonoise
Jult52, I bought new TV. I wanted Panasonic Plasma but found out that it outputs (TOSLINK) only DOLBY that my 2 channel DAC (Benchmark DAC1) doesn't decode. DAC is expecting standard 2 channel S/Pdif. There is no menu item for the output format selection, while manual says that it outputs 2-channel with NTSC and DOLBY with ATSC signal "automatically". How much does it cost to add menu item? I ended up with Samsung but tried to imagine, while unpacking 55" TV from large carton with all the fillers, Styrofoam, bags etc., frustration of somebody who assumed that it will work because it is TOSLINK so it should be standard.
Nonoise - That Oxygene CD player is a step in the right direction but is still fairly limited.

Kijanki - I see other hardcore audiophiles share my frustration.
iPhone/iPad: using their DAC, we can now hook them up through RCA connections into my 2-channel rig. But it isn't particularly convenient,....
Jult52, it looks like you are connection-challenged! The average user on this forum is far more connection savvy, if I may say so, esp. with modern toys like iXXXXX, Roku, etc.
If you family members are this interested in using your 2-ch main rig with their iPhone, mini iPod then it looks like you need an iphone, ipod dock with an analog output. there are several to be had (& many of them good quality) for as low as $100 & all the way up to many $100s. You would connect this dock once to your 2-ch rig using RCA cables & whoever wanted to play music would simply switch on the dock, dock their iXXXXX unit into it, switch on your main rig & play music. any reason for overlooking an iphone/ipod dock?

Our Apple laptop: USB audio out, although the sound quality probably sucks. (I'm not a fan of PC audio.) No way to connect it to the 2-channel rig.....
speculation on your part re. the sonic quality. I'm sure that it is very good (but perhaps not superlative) to the point that listening to music is enjoyable.
Again, the connection to the main rig is quite easy - you need a USB-to-SPDIF converter. There are several to be had for very reasonable prices such as $150 for the M2Tech unit & I'm sure that there are many others "Made in USA". Once again, connect the USB-to-SPDIF converter to your main 2-ch rig using RCAs. Each time you want to listen thru the Apple laptop just connect the USB output of the laptop to the USB-to-SPDIF converter (which is permanently connected to your 2-ch rig), switch on your main rig & you are off to the races. What's the real problem?

Connectivity, as in connections between components, is very difficult to navigate,.....
this is NOT one of the reasons preventing more people to indulge in hi-end audio.
Practically every interface has multiple solutions in terms of hardware & in terms of price points. It just depends on how much time you have to read & learn about it & how much money you want to spend.

I think that you have plenty of catching up to do.

And, you post would have been in better taste if you had simply asked the question: how do I conveniently connect gadge XYZ to my main 2-ch rig?

End counter-rant. ;-)