Which hi-end Sony SACD player to buy?

There are 3 that I have been looking at-the SCD-1, the 777-ES 2 channel and the XA-777ES. I know the XA is multi-channel, so this one may be out because I am dedicated to 2 channel. But for the life of me I cannot tell the differences between the 3 just by reading the availible audio reviews and I need to narrow this choice down soon. Also, who would you trust to do audio modifications on any of these models? Thanks in advance.
berzin
Why would they drop it in "six months"? If they were going to drop it, I would think they would just pull the plug, why wait six months.
That's a load of BS. (SACD done in 6 mos.). Just look at the reasoning:

1) Why would sony tell someone individually and not make an announcement?
2) Why would they make an announcement anyway? Good way to kill remaining sales of any product in the distribution chain (they sure as hell don't want that to happen). Would also kill sales of discs (again big investment on their part).
3) when has Sony ever backed down in format wars? They never gave up with Beta - it's still the preferred format for serious video tape (e.g. broadcast quality... Superbeta, etc.) and always was. How about MD? If there's a useless Sony format out there its' MD. Still, they support and promote it.

Read between the lines ... of course that posting is BS. the HiRez forum is notorious for battles between the SACD and DVDA camps.

-Ed
I am hoping its BS too. Just thought it should be mentioned here. If anyone has solid info one way or the other, I'd like to know.
I second the mods & the scd-1. I bought calloway's old fully hotrodded Richard Kern Audiomod scd-1. This thing transformed my system. The soundstage became HUGE and airy. I've never heard anything like it for digital playback. I sold my lessor modified scd-1 to a local friend who had been using a wadia 850. He's happy.

I've put this player head to head against quite a few players & it almost always wins by a fairly strong margin. The Marantz SA-1 was in the ballpark & the Audio Aero was a pretty even match. Some would prefer the AA's tube harmonics to the sony's airiness and detail. Both are superb players.

To do it again, I think I would just buy another scd-1. I like it's battleship build quality verses the newer xa. My only gripes are the size, toploading mechanism, and SLOWWWW load times. I actually keep another phillips cdr/Cal audio cd playeback system for when I want to flip through cd's.

For mods:
www.audiomod.com (richard kern)
www.modwright.com (dan wright)

Both of these guys have top shelf reputations. They both live here in Portland.