SA-14 Construction/TOC Issues

Hello,

I just bought a B-stock unit from Cambridge Sound Works that has the full warrantee and had them ship it to me (I live in Canada). The date of manufacture is December 2001. I have never seen a SA-14 before except via pictures.
Just two questions:

1. The top and sides of my unit are made out of a black plastic material that are riveted in place. I had assumed that it would be a metal of some sort (probably aluminum). Is this the normal top and sides?

2. The CD player that this is replacing is a Sony SCD-C555ES player. In the year that I have had it, it has never had a TOC or skipping problem. On one SACD in particular (Jacintha - Lush Life) the SA-14 has a TOC problem and when eventually loaded, skips on the latter tracks. The CD is spotless and not a problem with the Sony. Anyone else have this type of problem?

I have had this unit only for a couple of days now and can return it via their 45 day trial.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,

David Berry
david_berry
Thank you for your responses. I was aware that there was a TOC issue in their earlier run (I believe pre-April or May 2001) and thus did not expect it when I asked for the date of manufacture from the salerep. I also did not expect that once the disc was read, that it would skip.

The plastic top just put me over the edge when I saw it. I am going to attempt to get them to pay for return shipping as I was led down the garden path.

There have been many positive remarks about Cambridge SoundWorks in this forum and in others, but unfortunately, I cannot add to them.

David
I also recently purchased an SA-14 from CSW.
Initially I was less than pleased, however from
guidance from Ivan, Islandfisher, and Socrates,
the unit has settled into place and now
sounds great. Lengthy break-in and the inner tube
have transformed it. I am very pleased.
To your point-my unit was A-stock, i.e. brand new,
sealed, etc. with a manufacture date of Dec.2001.
The top and sides do seem to be plastic riveted into
place. If they are made like this, whats the problem?
Some of my cheaper players have metal tops and sound awful-so if the SA-14 has a copper clad bottom but plastic
top and sides and sounds great does it really matter?
My concern would be if other units from different dates
were built with metal top and sides, and if so why?
I'll call Marantz today and post my findings.

Best Regards and Thanks,
Attila Simon
"My concern would be if other units from different dates
were built with metal top and sides, and if so why?"

Exactly, Attila. I held my unit under a bit more scrutiny than normal due to its B-stock status. As such, the reason for the question about its top plastic-like material vs. what I was expecting - an aluminum top. It is good to know that the top and sides of yours seems the same as mine.

My concern was that of misrepresention of the product (i.e. not just B-stock but exterior (and possibly interior) changes), not particulary about the sound output.

Please do post your findings.
I talked to Marantz America.
They assured me no units were ever made with
plastic sides and top. The material is an anodized
aluminum alloy. I re-checked my piece and will admit
my error-it is easy to see why it seems like plastic.
Thin aluminum top with this finish does feel like plastic.
The sides seem like an alum extrusion.
Rest assured-it is not plastic. This from a guy(me) who
has been involved with sheet metal for 30 years.
Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks

Attila
Uh, the player should be metal, the top is aluminum, as-new, and the inside holds more copper then your local bank. Some folks have replaced the top with other materials for acoustic purposes, but this should not be the case with a new player. Maybe someone drop kicked the player, which led it to being "B-stock." Try to exchange it for another player, with the original roof.

How much does your player weight? Should be a little over 30lbs, very solid.