Interconnects: a conductor is a conductor, right?

If you guys remember, a while back i said that i had purchased a computerized audio distortion analyzer. Shortly after that, i posted that we had measured a couple of different interconnects and observed very measurable differences in distortion between these 1 meter length cables. Even though i had shared the fact that John Curl had measured similar distortions using similar equipment, most of the "techno-geeks" told me that i had been ripped off by the guy selling me the test equipment & conducting the "tests". While i knew better than that, those that aren't familiar with the individual that i was dealing with and weren't there to see / experience this type of test could have had their doubts. They were wrong, but they could still have their doubts and are entitled to their opinions though : )

As it turns out, someone else using Audio Precision test equipment has just posted some comparison results between Cardas and another cable manufacturer's interconnects. You can see the test results at Head-Fi. As a side note, the "highly distorted", "highly coloured", "highly lossy" cables were reviewed on an internet based audio webzine. In that article, the reviewer called these cables "the cleanest, least colored cables I've ever had in my system".

As a side note, Steve Eddy also posted a link to this thread over at the General Asylum. For those that don't visit AA all that often, Steve was involved in a "knock down, drag out" fight with John Curl over some of the distortion related measurements that he had taken of some specific interconnects. The fact that Steve posted a link to this sight shows that some of those that believe that "cables are cables, so long as they are properly constructed", can be fair when the evidence is presented to them. The fact that the person doing the testing was using Audio Precision gear, which is what Steve used as a reference to try and dis-prove Curl's results, only makes the results "sweeter" to those of us that supported / believed Curl's initial posts & test results.

Regardless of who says what, i just wanted to show you guys that i'm not a complete crack-pot. A third party with completely different test equipment has verified what i stated here a short while ago and Mr Curl has stated for a long period of time. I'm not trying to take credit for ANY of this, as it is all "old hat" to those that have been around this type of thing for many years. Quite honestly, i myself was pretty amazed at the test results that i saw when we performed these tests just a short while ago. What i am trying to do is make those that think they know all there is to know about electronics & test equipment to reconsider some of their previous comments and keep an open mind. Sometimes, what we don't know CAN hurt us. Especially when we don't know what we don't know : ) Sean
>

Now Listening: John Mayall & Friends "Along For The Ride" on SACD ( this is a hybrid redbook / SACD disc )
sean
Oops.... This needs some clarification that i was unaware of at the time of posting. As it turns out, these cables are an optically based design with some type of interphase at each end to convert them back to analogue use with standard plugs. In effect, these aren't just "passive" wires, but have some type of circuitry involved in them. As such, this is NOT an "apples to apples" comparison in the comments that i made in regards to the previous interconnects and measured distortion. None the less, it does show that these specific cables are FAR from "neutral".

Sorry for the confusion, but i hope that others interested in such things will at least look at the results AND keep their minds open about such things : ) Sean
>
Steve, i was typing at the same time that you were and our posts must have "crossed in the mail". Sean
>
Common sense says that electrons are like gas, and the hose you use to fill up your car...that's the cable. So don't bother me with your measurements, hippie.

-An Audio Critic
Cables are cables?

"Just a motorcycle Mr. C? And I suppose your mother was just a mother." -Fonzie
Sean there's a lot of good info here. I don't doubt for a second that there are extreme differences in cables that will be measured as soon as people figure out how. You have pointed out that the beginning is here!

Regardless of what anyone else says, I still think yer a crackpot!

Thanks for the good work.