People buying Transports again?

I have a friend who is looking to purchase some dCS equipment. He is set on getting the entire dCS stack. Not sure if it is the Vivaldi or Pagnini. Although he has converted his library to digital (Meridian Sooloos) he believes he gets the best sound via a Transport. Now I know this is very subjective on does it sound better and if so what is the price of it. Like him I have converted all of my music over to digital. I converted it mostly for convenience and access to my entire collection. I have downloaded some HiRez files but I have no desire to repurchase my music in HiRez format if it becomes available. To me converting from disc to digital files was like going from non-remote control preamps to preamps with remotes. I personally would not buy a non-remote controlled preamp but that is just me. Are people going back or staying with transports?
heavenlyaudio
I work with computers all day and the last thing I want to do is worry about high availability and disaster recovery for my music library. Long live the CD player :)
I had an external USB drive died but luckily it was backed up. Since you work with computers, you probably know there are auto backups. If manual, just select, copy and paste ... not too difficult.

Basically the digital players are small audio optimized computers selling for a lot more than a personal computer.
Agree! DAC is just a computer converting a file of 1's and 0's to an analog signal. The only requirement is getting the data in memory so the cpu can process it. If buffer is big enough (ideally the whole disc), how the data get in the buffer is not important IMO.

I am confused with digital music. If you can get hi res formats, why do some people say redbook cd is still better?
the keyword is EXECUTION! Tiger Woods with just a putter will kick my butt with the latest and best equipment.

Ethernet is all about the data packets and making sure they get to where they are destined. I would not spend more then 10 or 20 bucks on a shielded CAT6 cable for a digital rig.
Why does digital and analog cables sound different?
>>Ethernet is all about the data packets and making sure they get to where they are destined.

Yes for TCP/IP (or Token Ring or whatever transport protocol) they work as lost packets gets indeed re-transmitted and data packets are re-assembled but for hi fi audio where noise is a big culprit, causing jitter on the DAC/preamp side, you dont want RFI induced garbage.

If you dont believe all this and I am not telling you to, let me ask you? Why does (a digital) USB cable affect the sound then?

Here again there seems to be a discussion starting that reminded me of discussions on fuses and, to a lesser extend, on cables. Why dont we all experiment more?

If you dont hear a difference, then there is no difference for you,
To answer the OP question, I will be in the market for a new transport to replace my Modwright'ed Sony 9000ES.

Considering the Woo Audio and the Cyrus CDXT. I think this might be my last CD player purchase and hopefully it outlives me.

I just integrated a Chordette QuteHD dac into my system just in case I get bored some friday night and want to play with computers.
hi photonman:

you should consider esoteric or the lower priced teac line. years ago, they made excellent transports.

if i were in the market for a transport, i would listen to a teac.

however, i have found a phenomenal coax cable which really works well with transports--the fusion audio romance 2 gold cable.
Photonman,

The 47 Labs Flatfish is at the heart of my digital front end. I had it modded with a Super Clock and Black Gate Caps in all of the right areas. Powered with a custom battery power supply.The finest piece of musical gear I have ever owned! I have some pics of it in my gallery over on Audio Circle (rodge827). Check it out and drop me a PM with your comments.