I'm still working to love digital, are you?

I'm wondering how many on this forum are still trying to love the "sound" of digital, as compared to analog. After my 15 long years of digital updates (9 cd players, 3 transports and 5 D/A converters), I still relish the midrange purity and harmonic structure involved with analog, that is not nearly as prevalent in digital. I know that digital gets better every year (I've spent well over $20k myself staying abreast with the latest in digital updates), but digital still doesn't grab my soul the same way that analog does. How many feel the same about analog as I do?
ehider
I have mixed emotions about digi and analog - I've been into digital for so long that I've accepted its flaws and relished it's strengths. A great digi pressing whether from AAD or DDD is excellent on a great system. A lousy transfer sounds lousy. I was at a buddy's house recently, he has a nice analog rig, tube pre and amp and I couldn't stand the noise, mainly the pops and ticks that I forgot about all those years ago. On the other hand I just bought Peter Gabriel's remastered cd's and they sound like digital shit, especially "So" - pardon my french. fatigue and quick.
when i play records i occasionally get one that sounds really great - no ticks, pops, silent backgroung, no wow/flutter etc and i'm estatic. but what a pain in the ass to get there! i really only listen to vinyl for special performances when the condition of the playback is not relevant and i just want to hear the music. i've tuned my system so that i don't hear the most objectional sounds of cd's. now when i play cd's i just listen to the music also. may not be optimum from a equipment devotee's point of view but it sure lets me get into the music, not the recording artifacts which i can never get away from with vinyl.
I'm alright, you're alright. Alright? Digital is digital. Analog is analog. LPs are the sore point. A diamond stylus gouging its way through vinyl at every turn of the table. Argh.
Okay, I know that I'm likely to suffer some slings and arrows posting this, but fire away (don't get too personal, please) because I believe this is important. I admit that I don't have the most whiz bang audio system by a long shot (It's trailing edge) but the totality of the enjoyment is huge. I recently purchased here on Audiogon a used active system and must say that everything is more musical. It's hard to describe but I'll try. First, all but the worst recordings are enjoyable in the ways we are all looking for; three dimensional sound stage....wide, tall and deep. Second, harshness (digital and poor vinyl) and background noise (vinyl) is reduced by a huge degree. Third, music simply washes over you. Fourth, the feeling is that it is effortless. Fifth, as a result of the other benefits you will play and enjoy music that you love but can't stand to listen to. Put another way, most, if not all, of the annoying characteristics of a not-so-stellar recording are dimenished more than I can describe.

Assuming that most of the fine folks here are somewhat open minded I suggest the following: Grab three examples of each vinyl and CD. You should have you best, so-so and worst case of each format. Find an active system to audition your software. Then report back in the forums what you experienced.

My guess is that many of you will be listening to waaaay lesser systems than you own and I ask that you only compare the active vs. standard crossover in the same system used in auditioning. Somehow, reference mentally the differences if applied to your own equipment.

I have become quite satisfied with digital sources even on what most would consider a rather mediocre playback device. This concept has become quite an equalizer in my own system, and this is coming from a vinyl guy.

I may as well confess to owning an all Linn system. I know that there are "better" turntables, "superior" solid state and "finer" speakers than what I own. I only know that now when I try to be a critical listener I can't focus on that for long but find myself listening to the music instead.

Sorry if I sound like I've gotten religion here. It's that big an improvement, though.

Happy listening,
Patrick
You don't sound at all like you've gotten religion, lugnut. You sound just as you should sound: Someone happy with his equipment and enjoying his music. Long may you wave.