I'm still working to love digital, are you?

I'm wondering how many on this forum are still trying to love the "sound" of digital, as compared to analog. After my 15 long years of digital updates (9 cd players, 3 transports and 5 D/A converters), I still relish the midrange purity and harmonic structure involved with analog, that is not nearly as prevalent in digital. I know that digital gets better every year (I've spent well over $20k myself staying abreast with the latest in digital updates), but digital still doesn't grab my soul the same way that analog does. How many feel the same about analog as I do?
ehider
The problem with digital is that they are computer technology and they outdated very fast. The $20k that you spent will be worth US$10000 in less than a year. In a few year, it will become something like the 486 computer. Who want a 486 when you can have PIII! Clearly not a very good investment. And the worst is with all those money spent, you are still not happy!
With the $20k, you can get a world class turntable, the best tonearm and the best mc cartridge and they will never outdated! And the sound will be out of this world.........
I don't think the digital crap will ever have this kind of performance.
Well, in some ways it's a moot issue. If you want to listen to almost any new music released in the last 15 years, you have no choice but to go digital.

So, facing reality, I accept digital sound for its strengths and listen past its weaknesses.

Ironically, this is the same approach I take to listening to analog.
Hi Ehider; I like "good" CDs because they sound good in my rig. I have specifically put my stereo system together to sound good with digital, and yes it's expensive, but then so is good analog. But what really begs the question here is why one would beat oneself up trying to "love" a format they obviously do not-- and never have. I would have thought after 5-10 years they would have given up and bought some LPs and a TT and lived happily ever after.

Ghostrider45 puts it in good perspective by noting that each format has it's strengths and weaknesses. Personally after being into digital for a few years (I love the quietnesss and dynamics), I tried going bact to a modest (but decent) TT/LP setup, and quite frankly, I could not listen past the noise inherent in the format, and I'm NOT just talking about "ticks and pops". So, unless you're just trolling for some action, your query is kind of puzzling? Craig
Well I agree with you all. However, I feel digital does not become obsolete that fast, unless you believe all the hype. There are many 18bit and 20bit designs that still hold there own today if subjected to a blind listen. Wanting the latest technology in peoples minds probably causes the constant upgrading more than what is really necessary.

Vinyl is no different. Once you go beyond the classic looks and designs of the Rega, Lynn and other classic turntables; those sci-fi looking turntable designs that cost mega-thousands quickly lose their appeal and value as the "new look" comes out. Also, each time a new version of a big buck cartridge comes out, the old version loses value the same as digital, even though there is really nothing wrong with it.

But no matter; I enjoy both formats very much.

Eric, while i don't mean to come across as being rude, i'm going to ask an honest question here. I know that you are a big fan of Stan Warren products. Knowing that and having read the praises heaped upon his mods to DVD based players ( some of them by you ) as being the finest digital based playback systems made, reading a post of this nature coming from you seems kind of shocking. Are you not running Stan's gear or do you think it still falls that short of analogue ?

Having asked that, i used to think the same thing. Going to tube based DAC's was a big step and then onto a good SS upsampler was even better. While most of the problems with digital ( much like analogue ) are still based on poor recordings, i'm pretty happy with what i'm running now. It might not be anywhere near the ultimate in terms of digital systems, but it is the first time that i've ever been able to say that about ANY form of digital music reproduction.

I will not deny that both formats have their strengths and their weaknesses. I like them both for what they each have to offer. Too bad we don't have the technology to combine the best of both worlds. Sean
>