VPI Record Clamps

To make a long story short my 1 piece record clamp threaded out on me, so I bought the new one with the stainless knob. Then I noticed in a Music Direct catalog Black Diamond Racing has come out with a carbon fiber clamp for $300. The guy at Music Direct talked mt into it. I tell you this thing kicks butt. If you're looking for a new clamp to replace the cheap plastic clamp that comes with the Scout or just looking for an upgrade I'd check it out. It sounds fantastic on my '19 MK IV.
alephman
Alephman, you don't really HAVE to have a clamp on yours. Before I went to the Mat I I was using a Ringmat with no clamp (on my early model TNT) and liked it better than any clamp I had tried. You do have to get past the fact that the Ringmat looks pretty ridiculous.
has anybody replaced a vpi one piece center weight with the bdr? i presume when people refer to the stainless, they're referring to the 2 piece clamp? i have the one piece clamp that goes with the outer ring on my scoutmaster, and would be interested if anybody has compared it to the bdr.

thanks.
Sorry to rock this boat even more. I have all of the listed clamps above, (VPI Delrin and Stainless, BDR 1 and 2 piece). The clamp that I found sounds the best is the Teres Audio Cocobola clamp. It's $200, alittle cheaper than the BDR and IMHO sounds better. It's also the prettiest clamp of the camp :-)
Dopeman,
I have a TNT platter and a clamp is absolutly required. Now in retrospect $300 was a lot to spend on a record clamp, but I've found the BDR to be the best. Carbon fiber absorbes vibrations like crazy and I've noticed a quieter background since using it. I don't regret buying it except for the $300...
No, Alephman, a clamp is not "required" on your TNT. Haven't used one on mine in at least 2 years and it sounds a heck of a lot better than the last clamp (BDR) I DID use. But enjoy yours ...

Dave