Dion's new CD crashing party for some users

I got this from Yahoo News. What a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dion's new CD crashing party for some users
Wed Apr 3, 1:57 AM ET

By Chris Marlowe

LOS ANGELES (The Hollywood Reporter) --- Celine Dion's latest release is generating heated discussions on Internet message boards. But the subject under fire is not the star's music -- it's that the CD will not play on computer CD drives.

Epic/Sony released "A New Day Has Come" embedded with Key2Audio copy protection in Germany and several other European countries. According to a spokeswoman for Sony Music Entertainment, it is clearly stated on the front of the booklet and on the back of the jewel box that the CD "will not play on a PC or a Mac" in the language of the country in which it is sold. Besides those notices, which the spokeswoman said were readable before purchase, the disc itself bears the same warning.

Should the consumer try to play Dion's CD on a PC or Macintosh (news - web sites), the computer likely will crash.

Some fans believe that the CD is more damaging than that, however. On the German discussion boards at MacFixit, Mac users claim that the CD will not eject using normal methods and that the intentional corruption of the disc's session data could unpredictably affect the drive's firmware. (Firmware is a combination of hardware and software instructions that are permanently embedded in the hardware's controlling chips, such as with a computer's CD-ROM, and altering it could cause permanent damage.)

Sony denied these allegations. "The CD will probably cause a system to crash, but it will not alter anything," the spokeswoman said. "And it won't eject properly, but that's just because the computer has crashed."

"New Day" was released in the United States on Tuesday. Industry watchers expect it to sell more than 500,000 copies by the end of its first week.

More than 10 million discs using Key2Audio CD-audio copy protection have been produced and sold, primarily in Europe. Key2Audio is a product of Sony DADC, a 100% affiliate of Sony Corp (news - web sites). of America headquartered in Austria.
questforsound
As a software engineer I have to say that SONY's position that "The CD will probably cause a system to crash, but it will not alter anything," is about the siliest thing I have ever heard. Modern computers use a software disc cache to hold data in memory until it's convenient to write it. If their corrupted CD causes the computer to crash while the data is in meory but hasn't been written to the hard drive the data is lost. Even worse is if it causes the computer to crash while the data is being written to the drive. This can cause the data to be written to the wrong place on the drive and not only lose the data in memory, but corrupt the contents of the disc whether it be a program or data. If it is a program you can expect weird behavior when it executes, if it is data, then it may be unreadable. Either way it is a lose lose situation.
I've never copied a cd and I think it should be my choice if I wish to play a cd in my pc. I'll choose who I support with my puchases. I'm not going to give it to a company who views their customers as criminals who cannot be trusted to obey the laws.....you cannot punish all the innocents to deny the guilty without consumer reaction. The question is how big the reaction? Will enought reaction happen to make Sony notice? It would appear they are willing to put it to the test. Rather arrogant. And they want us to support sacd? Sony could be playing with fire here, it will be interesting to see...I'm sure we'll hear a lot more about this....
Vote with your wallets folks. You have the right to listen to a CD you bought in your computer, car, home stereo, portable CDP, etc. You also have the right to make personal copies of music you purchased. You have your rights and nobody, including Sony, should be able to determine how and when you exercise your rights. If Sony wants to take this approach there's plenty of other labels that won't include this "feature". Fortunately I'm no Celine Dion fan so this one won't matter to me, but where there's smoke, there's fire.