Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
UPDATE:

My PS Audio DirectStream has been returned (still waiting for my refund).
My PS Audio Perfect Wave 2 is sold.
My Aeris is sold (pending funds).

I just, this morning, unpacked and hooked up the APL DSD-S that Alex was generous enough to lend me. I don't have time right now, but I will give an initial report in the next day or so. It only has 100 hours on it, and it just completed a trans-Atlantic flight. So it needs a lot more burn in time to give it a fair audition.

My personal ODSE is on its way with a Short Block USB filter. Hopefully arrive any day. I would like to burn in my new ODSE thoroughly as well to properly compare the two. Especially considering that my ODSE is my reference unit and what all else will be compared with. I am hoping Alex is willing for me to hold onto the DSD-S for a while to really give it a proper evaluation.

That's all for now.

As an interesting side note, this thread just passed 50,620 views. How cool is that?!?!
Update continued:

As another side note. I have heard nothing about the Aesthetic Romulus Signature, so I don't see that happening any time soon. And I am trying to convince the gentlemen in Northern Jersey to lend me his Lampy Big 7 for a few days so I can add that review to this shoutout. I think it might be sold though....
To much thread with not enough time. So... what dac so far in the shootout sounds the best on 'standard resolution Redbook CD'?
Matt, is this shoot-out over?, where is the Asthetixs Romulas or Pandora signature!
"My PS Audio DirectStream has been returned (still waiting for my refund)."

Matt,

Did you post any comments on the DS?