Help - I've got an Ocean in my Phono Stage

I'm using a Rega P3 and a Denon 103R cartridge, with a Monolithic PS-1 Phono stage.

The PS-1 just barely has enough gain to handle the Denon cartridge - I've got to max out the gain on it.... however I'm getting this loud background hiss/hum sound that sounds kind of like the ocean at night. I really thought the problem was with the Rega, because I recently rewired it. However, on a whim, last night I unplugged the Rega from the Monolithic and lo and behold - still getting the noise.

I've tested all of the inputs on my pre-amp and amp... so I know that the hiss-hum-ocean sound is coming from the PS-1.

I've tried moving the PS-1 and changing the outlet the power cord is plugged in to.

I know that I've got a lot of RF in my listening area - but am curious why it might only affect the PS-1...

Any ideas on how to fix this problem (like buy a new phono stage that can handle a low output MC cartridge) would be appreciated.

thanks,

ljg
zenguy
Well, its not on Lp (forgive me for bringing it up) but if you want to hear whales try Hovhaness' "And God Created Great Whales". Very atmospheric w/whale songs. Accompanied by an excellent Mysterious Mountain. Gerald Schwartz, Seattle SO on Delos.
Why this obsession with low output MC's? It happens again and again. Dude, do you really plan to sell the Monolithic and get something that will handle low output MC's while keeping the Rega P3? Think again. It will take some SERIOUS money to do the low output thing correctly--and by then the Rega will be such a weak link in the chain it will not be funny (it already is the weak link, BTW).

You can get *exceptional* results with a high output MC (Ortofon, Dynavector) or an outstanding moving magnet design (Goldring, Stanton) with the PS-1. Get the outboard power supply if you don't have it, a decent power cord ( like the VenHaus )and some small DH cones or Audiopoints for them units. You WILL be surprised.

I use the Monolithic PS-1 w/ outboard power supply hooked to a Clear Image T4 quad isolation transformer/filter and an AudioPrism Super Natural 9.5 power cord. The units are supported with Audiopoints on Caribbean Moca wood boards and rubber/cork/rubber footers. The results are truly impressive. The turntable? That's a story all to itself, but my favorite cartridge is a KAB modified Stanton Groovemaster II. I had the resistors in my Monolithic changed to accept the Stanton's 75 KOhm loading.

With psychic power and primal intensity,
Low output Moving Coils just sound better most of the time. But the Shure V15 V-MR is making a very good impression in my system now.