Idler wheel drive vs Belt

I noticed in the last day a frenzied bidding on an EMT 930 (plus arm/cartridge, etc) that went for $6.5Gs. Lots of money for a vintage kit. I also read some laudatory comments on the venerable Garrard 301 with boutique plinths. Anybody out there have experience with such, and can comment on whether I should abandon my purchase of a Teres and go for a 'transcription' turntable like Garrard 501 (with Schroeder DPM). Those vintage designs have lots of torque as they were used in radio stations, but don't seem to have close tolerance bearings or heavy platters. Yet some have thrown some serious positive comments on these vintage solutions. Is the magic real, and what contributes to it?
(I am not going to blow $6G on an EMT930 any day soon).
divo
Post removed 
You can have a refurbished Technics sp10 Mk II with warranty, a high end plinth, and a tonearm (sme or audio note arm 2; ie, rb300 with seamless run of audio note silver wire to RCA termination) for about 2000 US (I think; not positive if Euro or dollars) from Stirling Electronics. Damn good deal, actually. I seem to have misplaced the email from Stirling for prices. In any event if the plinth is good this is a high end rig and should suffice for most.

The url is:
http://www.stirlingbroadcast.net/

Stirling even has a brand new in the box sp10 Mk III for some ungodly price of 4500.....not sure if pounds, euro, or us dollars....
It makes a great difference if it is Euros, Pounds, or dollars. Pounds would be about twice as much for US buyers, and Euros about 40 percent more.

These mods would have to have a very substantial effect to have the SP10 competitive with the top tables.
Of course it makes a big difference; check out the link, ask for quotes, and be sure to check the money quoted. Euro is at 1.3 to the dollar right now.

This would be a table that will run with most anything IF sited on a quality stand (think billy bags) or good isolation platform. I would ask what Stirling could sell a SME IV or V for as that would seal the table as truly high end.