Someone should kick me in the keester

No matter how much I know and learn about audio, I can still be completely oblivious to some of the most basic things. Today I discovered a new dimension to that fact.

For quite a long time I've been complaining (privately) about the lack of detail, imaging, and overall clarity my system had, in spite of the quality of its components. I spent a bit of time swapping tubes, changing interconnects, and adjusting the speaker position without a great deal of success at cleaning up the sound or providing a solid soundstage to my satisfaction. While most of my friends couldn't hear the problems I described, I certainly did and it lead me to think that this might be as good as it gets.

A few weeks ago I decided to order some parts to build the Max Rochlin memorial digital cable, partly because I needed a project to keep me busy, and because it was the only cable in my system I had not yet replaced. I finally got around to building it this morning (for those that are thinking about trying it, it took me about an hour or so) and discovered after installing it that I had an entirely new audio system. The soundstage was right on the money and rock solid, the music was clean as a whistle (even through Moussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition), the bass tight, the midrange a thing of beauty, ... I could go on.

Anyway, it turns out that my suffering for the past year or so was due entirely to an inferior digital cable and nothing else. I had been very skeptical in the past about the differences a digital cable could make (bits is bits?), but I now stand both red faced and enlightened. I'm not entirely sure that I understand the physics behind the change I made, but it does seem that there are things about digital transmission that I need to brush up on.

Anyway, if confession is good for the soul, then let me be the first to give my spirit a lift :-).

For the record, the system is mostly CJ (17LS, Premier 12's, DA2-B DAC) with a Pioneer DVD as a transport.

-- Ken
kjg
Just quick questions: was your previous digital cable a true 75 ohm cable (which is what needs to be used in digital, especially if runs are a meter or longer) or was it an standard RCA (a lower ohm rating, I believe)? Was the firmness of the connection any different between the two and were the two plugs of the same depth? For $10 though there's not much to complain.
Congratulations, you are now a believer. You also show that you have an open mind. Wait till you try some of the better power cords. You will experience the same thing you discovered with your digital cable. All wires are not created equal.
So true, yes EVERYONE says digital is digital

the signal is
10101010 10101011

Sometimes you get a digital cable that is put together and you get the same signal but like :
101010?0 10?01011

The transfer..suffers .. I always say for digital, it more the quality of the cable then anything else, actually that applies to everything ...can't go wrong with quality!
Take a look at www.modwright.com for his mods on the 525 as a transport. If think the cable makes a difference wait to you here what the mods can do!