Taking the analog plunge...

OK guys, I could use your suggestions here.

I have several upgrades in mind and/or in progress for my 2 channel system. While I was considering these changes, I decided to look into adding a turntable as well. It's been a number of years since I've had a decent TT (decades, really) and the sheer number of choices can be pretty daunting.

What would help is a short list of gear that you think I should investigate that is A) a relatively good match for current gear and B) is priced somewhere below 4k. There are plenty of reviews at my disposal, but I'd much rather hear from people who are actually living with this stuff for extended periods and are more likely to have used it with gear similar to mine

My current system consists of all BAT components (D5, 5i and VK 200) and Triangle Celius speakers. The upgrades are/will be a BAT VK 60 and either Hyperion HPS 938s or GMA Continuum 3s.

Your suggestions?
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xloonytunz
Thanks for the advice Dan. No, the 5i hasn't got the phono stage. I've given thought to the P10 and balk at the idea of spending 3k for one. It's odd that you mention the EAR. My search began with the 834P and I was very encouraged by what I read.

I definitely have no qualms about buying used and have done so over the last couple of years. Outside of that, I have been impressed by J A Michell. The build quality looks quite good and the chatter I'm hearing is equally impressive. I have no idea about cartridges at this point.
FWIW check out the Nottingham line of TT's. I'm impressed with the design of the Spacedeck and Arm and the user reports have been very favorable. This will probably be my next table. Others here recommend Teres a lot. Then there is always VPI and their endless (seemingly) upgrade path.
Heard an EAR 834 demoing a Nott. Horizon (with a buch of other stuff) and, for what it's wrth, I thought what i heard was awsome. hard to single out the phono stage, but it surely didn't get in the way of the final presentation. Made me want one.
FWIW, I used an 834P with my VK-50SE for almost a year. The BAT equipment is so revealing that it will let any well matched phono stage shine through. A good friend of mine has owned his Mitchell for years and loves it. Which ever tables you put on your short list be sure to check out the upgrades that are available. BTW, how is your LP stash?
Thanks all. Your responses are appreciated.

The 834 certainly sounds like a no-brainer, especially at it's price point. I'm also really interested in doing some hands-on with a Gyro SE.

Dan: I've made the mistake of trading off a bunch of my old 'stash' for CDs in the past. I'd estimate what I have remaining is somewhat less than 200 lps, but there are still some goodies among them.